Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Amp Alley

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM
The Mad Scientist

Favorite Axe: Charvel,Hamer,Kramer,Homebuilt Mini Bich, Jackson!
My Photos: (6)
My Mood:
Default Busy!

Made a resolution (which I never do...resolutions are a stupid idea and meant to be broken)...to keep only one iron in the fire at a time.
THAT blew up, quick.
First two weeks of this year I built two amps.
One a Cygnus-7 (the old low watt high gain thing I've been doing for a while) and yet another Spitfire.
The Cygnus-7 turned out great, best ever.
The Spitfire doesn't work right and I couldn't figure it out.
Pulling secondaries down 100V but not blowing fuses.
Sidelined for now.

Finished the channel-switching Cygnus 30 watt, owner is dumb in love with it...great news.
Did a simple Harmony H400A refurbish.
Good
Started to build two head cabs for the Cygnus-7's, and those are screwed up, man I struggle with cabs sometimes.
Still kicking around not done.

Started another Cygnus-30, without the channel switching, in process.
And got a really cool 50's radio just big enough to build a vintage Champ into.
Worked great for half a day then IT started showing the same symptoms as that Spitfire, not blowing fuses but really weak with B+ low by 150 volts.
Arg!

Sideline it, go back to the Cygnus 30.

Sometimes it's as if nothing goes right, other times everything goes almost too great.
I think my problem is trying to recycle old chit, the answer will come when I rig up those two amps to fresh independent power supplies.

OTOH I have been incredibly blessed, stuff just falling into my lap.
Got a Carvin HT760M free (fan wasn't working), a Marshall rack Valvestate 8008 for free (looks like that will be an easy fix), a set of PRS singlecut pups for...free.
Scored yet another GREAT 50's Baldwin organ for almost nothing (full of parts, really, and some great tubes), and a Peavey Duece II among other boneyard stuff.

I have no idea why I'm posting this.
Just explaining for that "busy" status.

Fuggit, taking tonight off and slamming a few Yuenglings.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
The Mad Scientist

Favorite Axe: Charvel,Hamer,Kramer,Homebuilt Mini Bich, Jackson!
My Photos: (6)
My Mood:

Well hell.
The Champ works just fine on the test rig.
Answers my question, something's up with the salvaged power transformer.

Safety First!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

I hear ya.
For me, it's just taking my time. Anytime I get in a rush is when I run into problems.

I've got the daphne blue lacquer for the strat, BUT before I get to that stage, I have to finish fixing little dents and tear outs and other stuff even before I can start putting on the sanding sealer. I'm using spot putty, and you have to build it up in thin layers. Put on a layer, sand it back, wipe off the sanding dust, and go again. I'm also having to square off the neck heel, because I wasn't thinking when I made the body, and rounded the heel with the rest of the back of the body. Fortunately, I think I've got the heel just about finished. I'll see when I sand this layer of spot putty off if I have to fill any tiny holes this time.
I've also got a couple of spots I'm smoothing out in the tummy cut, then it's on to the front, which hardly has anything that needs to be fixed.

Different things, similar concept.