Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > ESP Guitars > ESP guitars

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 PM
NFG

My Photos: (0)
Default "$100bills covered" ESP Custom Maverick 1980's or early 1990's

Hi everyone,

I'm a drummer who has been playing sloppy guitar for about 8 years now, and I recently moved to Los Angeles and decided to collect some cool guitars. I was browsing through a flea market in Hollywood where I came across this:

I picked it up to look for the "LTD" and realized immediately it was older than that. I turned it around to the neck plate to see if it said 48th street or NY but it was black plate with ESP and a serial number 900xx.

My dad owns a music shop back in the day, he is in NY but talking with him he said it was probably an early 90's Japanese parts assembled in NYC at the 48th street custom shop. He said back in the day he used to sell ESP parts in NY, they were making "cheap" replacement strat parts. This struck me odd, but I trust my father's opinion, and reconsidered my purchase as a bad deal.

In the meantime I contacted ESP directly, ESPtechinfo to be specific, giving them these pictures, and serial number, asking for any production info details. Two weeks later, I received this:

Quote:
Hello,

No production records for older ESP's.
Obviously custom made.
Possibly late 80's early 90's.
So I went on a search for other "money finish" guitars from that era, in which I found 2 mirage guitars recently sold on ebay for ridiculous money. All in all, I love this guitar, but would like more info on it. ESP is no help, they won't respond to my second email asking if there is a way to tell where it was assembled, etc.

If anyone has any info on this guitar or any questions, opinions, offers, I'm all ears.

Oh and by the way, I'm really not a shredder at all, I am way too sloppy a player, so I feel guilty playing this awesome 24 fret low action beast. I love this guitar. It has the tone of a strat if i want, but can crank up with the bridge pickup to deep dark stuff. It's hands down the best guitar I ever owned.

I saw in a different maverick thread here, someone reversed the string directions, is there a reason for this? Also, I've never owned a floating bridge guitar before, especially new to the floyd tremolo, can anyone advise on how to maintain?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Welcome to Shred.
I know nothing about ESP guitars but if I saw that one and the price was right I'd grab it just cause it's cool and looks to be an excellent player.
If it was big money then I'd walk not knowing the perceived value.
Jon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 PM
NFG

thanks man!

Much appreciated, I am a huge David Gilmour & Alex Lifeson (Rush) fan, especially of Rush's 80's stuff. Alex's tones and effects on Power Windows Album had me researching superstrats & kramers he used during recordings. I like Eddie Van Halen a ton and respect his contributions to the guitar scene. I love how these 3 rock guitarist's tones matured through the years and especially how advanced and complex they all were in the 1980

It was this combination of guitarists and their rigs that inspired my research and interest in 1980's guitars. I think there is a serious opportunity to own some cool and unique guitars that represent a period of guitar making where age old traditional guitar makers (fender/gibson) were challenged by young, risky competition dying to make a statement with the ability to fuse new technology ideas into their fabrication process.

I just don't understand what happened over the 1990's, where we are today, with a resurgence in "classic" guitars, simplicity, nothing new, no superstrats, just "reissues"

Anyways, rant over.

Thanks for checking out my thread, and I appreciate your insight.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: Kramer
My Mood:

All i have to say ,is that you are one lucky MOFO !

Enjoy that beast ! they are well built guitars ! .
i remember viewing a WARRANT video and of of the guys was playing a similar guitar .

Enjoy ..
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Favorite Axe: My PRS of course...!!

Cool axe...!!!!

I also remember somebody playing an axe with Hundred dollar bills on it years ago... Maybe it was the band Warrant...??????
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Shredder in Training

Favorite Axe: ESP/Kramer/Charvel/Fender

I never find deals like this. Wow.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM

Oh man,

I/We have been scammed/spammed as Mike (if that is his real name) is ONLY trying to sell the axe...!!!!!

http://www.gregsalerts.com/detail/?h...702855237.html

Inside there is a Ebay link where one sold not long ago for around 19 bills...

Mike will take 16 bills for his as a FYI..!!!!

And here I thought a guy was after knowledge on his axe... NOPE.. after a quick sale is all.....!!!!!!

I was trying my best to find out what he had.. Ie: a true custom artist guitar or what..?????

I now feel like a used rubber..!!!!! lol

OK so ya got me Mike (again if that is your real name)

just "man up" bro If you are trying to sell something.. nothing wrong with that.. but faking that you where after info when you where really only after a sale is lame bro...!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Pretty sad - hope he sits on it forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Favorite Axe: Kramer
My Mood:

Scum Bag !
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
NFG

Yes that's my listing on LA craigslist, I need some money. I don't see how i'm scamming anyone? I'm broke and I need to downsize some stuff. I am a scumbag? I don't follow? I doubt anyone will bite on the guitar at that price anyways, but the truth is I could use some money more than this beautiful guitar.

Please answer me as to why I am a scumbag, otherwise this is harsh and uncalled for.

EDIT

Also I put this thread up before I put up the craigslisting. I say in the criagslisting why the guitar doesn't fit me well, I'm not a shredder. I didn't wanna spam this forum as a newbie with my forsale listing etc. I don't see how i'm in the fault here. Or did anythring unethical or wrong. I'm a strat guy, through and through, I say it right there in the listing, and I'm sorry but someone who likes to shred or appreciates classic 80's guitars would be better off with this than I would be.

As for my asking price, what does that have to do with anything? In all honsety, I expect not to sell it anyways, I do like the guitar alot, but when I am living on 500 dollars in my bank account, I need to feed my guitar/drum hobby somehow, just like everyone on here. I was raised in a music shop, I see selling a guitar as less evil than hording the damn thing for years in a case in the closet. At least someone might be able to enjoy the damn thing who knows and loves 24 fret low action shredding, right?

But whatever, if you would have preferrred me to spam this thread with a link to my craigslisting, then sorry I dissapointed you and left that off here for my persieved "taste" is not a salesman but as a guitarist on this thread.

mikeosoft fucked with this message on : 11-19-2011 at 10:28 AM
Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
NFG

sorry kb7010 I took a few minutes to reread your post and sit on it, and if I approach things from your perspective, I do seem like a jerk/scumbag. I'm sorry you spent a lot of time researching the guitar for me, but it was not my intention to make you excerpt your resources for my profit. I genuinely am inquiring about this guitar.

Living on 500 dollars in my name right now means I have all my gear up for grabs if the right money comes around. Seeing that ebay listing and ESP's response made me reconsider holding onto the guitar. This was just second nature for me coming from my background growing up in a music shop. I think nothing wrong of it. Does that make me a bad guy? I don't think so personally, and that was not my intension either. I'd most likely put the money into another guitar anyways.

I put in the first post if anyone wants to "offer" something for the guitar. I assumed this covered my intention without turning this thread into a for sale listing.

I've been doing tons of research on the guitar myself with barely any results. I understand if you are upset but if you think I am a scammer I think you're coming to a premature conclusion. If you would like me to leave shred, that's fine I'll go away. Sorry for everyone who thinks I'm a scammer, I'm just a guy down on money who loves cool guitars, picked up this ESP knowing nothing about shredding and did some research, posted here for help, decided to put up the guitar for grabs on craigslist and now am labeled a scammer, but I guess stuff falls that way, then I am sorry and that is/was not my intension.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Certified Fucking Rock Star

Favorite Axe: ibanez
Favorite Strings: elixers
My Mood:

i think its cool you found it at a flea market..
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 AM
NFG

thanks. Me too, I was walking around waiting for my sister and her bf to meet me for lunch, saw a parking lot flea market across the street, went in and saw some cool pedals for sale at this one man's pile. He had like an old MXR eq pedal that had an internal power supply. I talked to him but he spoke broken english, he was from japan and collects guitars. He collects Steinberger basses/guits and told me he needs more room to add to his collection.

Interesting guy for sure.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Certified Fucking Rock Star

Favorite Axe: ibanez
Favorite Strings: elixers
My Mood:

i just walked in the door from yard sales (lookin for old amps or guitars) and flea markets (lookin for the same).. saw a killer ampeg bass amp for 300.. but i have a yorkville 3times as powerful, and a vox about the same size as the ampeg.. so i left it.. but it was an 800 dollar amp brand new for 300.. good deals in odd places.. that's why i thought it was cool finding it at a flea market.. keeps my hopes up..lol.. i was gonna comment "witch! witch!.. burn him!".. lol..
Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Mike I will give you MY reasons why I said what I said.. You came here and the way I "read it" is...

" hey guys I just bought this guitar and now I am looking for more info about it...!!!!" I think we will ALL agree on that detail...

I will give you the one where you said "I will take offers" but again if you re-read what you VERY FIRST post says.. it basically is asking MORE for info then a sale... as your wording of I will take offers is just a simple one liner where the other words are YOU asking for more infomation..... do you agree with that one or not...?? I think you will if you once again re-read what YOU posted.. not me....!!!!!

Another point is the CL post is the exact same day you posted wanting "help on the info" of said axe... that is where I myself draw the line and stand by my thoughts of you should have just "man'ed up" and said the axe was for sale...????

The axe is for sale correct...???? so why not just say that....????????????????????????

Sorry dude you can sugar coat it with your nice grammar skills all you want.. but the bottom line you are after a quick sale and that is it.... If you only have 5 bills in the bank then you wouldn't have bought that axe unless you thought you could make money off of it and again IMO (keywords .. IMO ) why you posted it here...

as far as leaving Shred .. I really don't care if you leave or stay.. I don't own the place.. I am just calling you out on something is all...!!!!! ie: man up that the guitar is for sale..!!!!

Is it really that hard to say I am trying to sell this axe..?????