Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Shredding Is My Business... And Business Is Good

Favorite Axe: Kramer, ESP, Fender, Rickenbacker, Charvel
Favorite Strings: Elixer 10-46
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:
Default NGD! ESP Maverick gotta see this

Sup everyone, I've been patiently awaiting the arrival of this guitar and OH MAN is it AMAZING. It's beautiful, perfect condition aside from a small belt scratch by the trem cover on the back. Plays awesome, and I gotta say, I have NEVER seen another one even close to similar to this. The case is even in perfect condition. And the neck. oh god. Only negative is I have to find a trem bar for it now. I'll hunt something down.

It's an ESP Maverick Deluxe, and judging by the ESP branded floyd (not a sinclair), I'm guessing this to be 1993-1994. This is no ordinary Mav Deluxe though, as these were available in transparent finishes but not with figured maple tops. This one has a figured maple top, so I'm guessing this is a "production custom." Apparently back in the day a dealer could order a few mods to a standard production model.

The stock on these would've been the JB, but I'm not sure this one is a JB. When I change strings (soon, the ones that came on it are pretty dead), I'll pull it out and look. It has a little more treble character but darker attack. SH-6 Distortion maybe? It is also slightly hotter than my JB and further away from the strings.

Anyway, enough talk, on to the pictures of this beautiful thing.

And updated "herd" pic (minus the Rickenbaker 360 and Fender Telecaster, my dad has those right now).

Also, the people I delt with on ebay to get this were awesome. Truly positive experience and great communication. I find that a rarity now even with "positive feedback" sellers.

lonewolfsx fucked with this message on : 09-13-2011 at 10:12 AM
Old 09-13-2011, 02:18 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: Kramer
My Mood:

Mega Sweet ! Enjoy i love those Esp Mavericks !!!
They dont make em like that any more !
Ed..
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Grand Wizard - Brotherhood Of The Holy Headstock

Favorite Axe: Floyd Rose Arrow & Seattle
Favorite Strings: D'Addario 11's
My Photos: (35)
My Mood:

I loves me some green guitars! Ya just don't see enough in green.

Is that black marker dots in the fretboard?

Ed's right...they don't make em like that anymore...
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
I loves me some green guitars! Ya just don't see enough in green.

Is that black marker dots in the fretboard?

Ed's right...they don't make em like that anymore...
Nah they're abalone, you can tell up close. But #7, 15, 17, 19, and 21 are all kinda the darker part of the abalone.

And oh yeah it's an awesome color. It's pretty dark in person but depending on the light it can get a lot lighter and the wood grains really show.

I found a trembar that fits (first one I've had with a collar... I actually really like not having the bar move around like it does on my older kramer). This floyd is made by Schaller so just the standard arm fit perfectly.

So now this guitar (sadly) knocked my Kramer out of "The Guitar I Measure All Other Guitars Against" spot. It' has dead quiet electronics (sometimes I forget the volume is maxed and reach for the knob anyway), the neck is wonderful and decently glossy (I'm not a satin or oil finish guy...)... etc etc

I don't understand why they don't still make the Maverick. ESP Japan still makes an "MV" model, but those are insane expensive and anything custom is crazy expensive too. Why no maverick standard? I'd rather have one of these than the MII. Shit for that matter, why no MI with a trem? and no MIII? come on.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: Kramer/Charvel
Favorite Strings: barbed-wire
My Photos: (8)
My Mood:

Stunning guitar! But I always felt those needed a nanner or pointy head stock. What's on them just does not do it for me for some reason.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM

My Mood:

You can get the Maverick Standard (H/S config) with a pointy ESP headstock. Personally I wanted this headstock specifically because well, I think it looks awesome plus I wanted something a little less... violent looking... than the usual pointy headstock.

Plus I HATE big headstocks. That's why I love this one and the Kramer pointy, they are TINY headstocks. Even the ESP pointy is kinda big, because the long side of it is extra long to allow for the little cut back part. Also why I really like those 1980+/- strats built on the old machinery so the headstocks are weirdly shaped and smaller. Anything before that has the humongous CBS headstock (blehhh). In fact one of my favorite looks is the Strat shape with a tele headstock. Too bad you can't just swap the necks straight up since the body pockets are different..

To think.. I almost went for just a normal stratocaster instead of this
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM
NFG

Favorite Axe: ESP/LTD Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfsx View Post

The stock on these would've been the JB, but I'm not sure this one is a JB. When I change strings (soon, the ones that came on it are pretty dead), I'll pull it out and look. It has a little more treble character but darker attack. SH-6 Distortion maybe? It is also slightly hotter than my JB and further away from the strings.

I think it should be a pretty noticeable difference. I just put a SH-6 in a LTD MV-300 and it sounds awful (dark and too sharp) compared to a JB.

I haven't heard quite a stark difference on this level beetween the two I think its a matter of the sh-6 not playing nice with the 24.75 scale length and looser strings.

Nice Axe!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

Swap the magnet for an A5, and be sure to take the other two small magnets out as well. Instant JB, from what I understand, they are the same pickup wind.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 AM

Very sweet

I had a blue Mav...still have the green Mirage...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM
NFG

Favorite Axe: sonky

think it should be a pretty noticeable difference. I just put a SH-6 in a LTD MV-300 and it sounds awful (dark and too sharp) compared to a JB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
I have long hair, a BMW, and I can BAN YOUR ASS now! PayPal payments accepted

Favorite Axe: ESP
My Mood:

Hahaha! I was just going to say I had a Mirage from that time period! And bam! there it is! Glad to see you still have it!

The trem on that Maverick has me a little confused though? I know the Mirage I sold had an original Floyd. ESP was all over the place with trems during that time period. I have a buddy who ordered a custom from Hollywood at the time and his has a Kahler Steeler, the Mirage had a real Floyd, I've seen the post Synclear ESP logo'd trems on them as well (was sent one as a replacement for my Synclear for my 87 Mirage Custom from ESP), and now this one! There is always more to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbolt View Post
Very sweet

I had a blue Mav...still have the green Mirage...

Tags
esp maverick ngd