Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Amp Alley

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: ESP MII/Jackson Imports
My Photos: (3)
Default Need some amp Ideas

can anyone help me out ? I am looking for a Head (already have the cab) thats absolutely no more than 50 Watts but preferably around 20 -30. I want it to be able to do a variety of tones but I play a lot of old school power metal and thrash. I don't need tons of gain and don't mind adding some overdrive if needed. I want a tube amp. I have looked at / played the blackstar HT 20 head which was pretty good but I know nothing about them other than the research ive done online. not sure if they are durable and will last. I have tried the marshall DSL 50, I used to own a 5150 but it was too loud and had no master volume and really only sounded good cranked. I also would like to be able to play this amp with a band here and there. Any suggestions ?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Certified Fucking Rock Star

Favorite Axe: ibanez
Favorite Strings: elixers
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...23951000001000

the effects loop alone is worth the money.. switchable.. run rack or pedals..
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Just one of the banned

Favorite Axe: Kramer American
Favorite Strings: GHS Progressives 9/10
My Photos: (19)

I just ordered a Cavin V3M myself. It's about as good as it gets. Switchable 50/22/7 watt output, 3 channel, effects loop, boost, reverb all foot controllable. Plus eq for each channel. Like I said, as good as it gets.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...hp?product=V3M

Dale
Old 07-04-2011, 07:00 PM
AKA: Ed Roman Jr.

Favorite Axe: Charvel/Jackson, Edwards
Favorite Strings: D'Addario/9-42
My Mood:

I would suggest a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade or Coreblade.

IIRC, Ty, you live in London? I have a Switchblade, so you could come try it out with your guitars to see how you like it. (I live like 5 minutes North of Town)

The Switchblade does everything. The Coreblade is more geared towards Metal, but still does pretty much everything
Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 PM

If those weren't 100 watts I would totally check them out ! thats just too much for me. I want something I can still play at home. When I had my 5150 I could never play it at home so it got little use other than when I was at my practice space and could really crank it. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

What about an Egnater Rebel 20 or 30?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Favorite Axe: ESP/LTD KH-602
Favorite Strings: 09-46 Light Top/Heavy bottom
My Mood:

Honestly, if you're not going to look at the 100 watt models the 50 watt Randall head mentioned earlier in this thread will definitely get you in power/thrash territory. Randall high gain heads are very crunchy and clear with a pretty thunderous bottom end, check them out if you get a chance. Three channels, clean, crunch, lead, i should be able to do what you're looking for with ease without breaking the bank as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM

how do the randalls do with low volumes ? Will it still sound good at home ?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Favorite Axe: ESP/LTD KH-602
Favorite Strings: 09-46 Light Top/Heavy bottom
My Mood:

It's like any other tube amp. It will be usable (depends on your tastes) at low volumes but obviously will sound better when it's cranked up a bit. You need to decide on what you really want: do you want an amp to play in a band with, or an amp to play at home. It's hard for me to see a reason to have a tube head/speaker cab if you don't have the intention of playing in a band, unless you really absolutely have to have that type of amplifier. Either way, any tube amp through a 4x12 or 2x12 is going to be loud and will always sound better the more you crank it up. Sure, some will sound good at lower volumes, but they usually shine once the power tubes start getting some juice running through them.

I'd maybe look into getting a cool head for gigs/playing in bands and finding a good sounding amp for playing around the house if that's what you're mainly going to be doing. I use my 5150 in a band and mainly small practice amps or amp sims through Cubase for practice when at home (sometimes I use the 5150, but it's not as fun and I get in trouble ). Good luck in your search and play as many amps as possible. If you have an awesome budget, there's always the Mesa Mark V, which is very versatile and has variable power that ranges from 90/45/10 watts.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM

My Mood:

hell.. get ya' a gt-8.. find 'em used on the bay for 250 bucks.. if you already have a cab and you're worried about volume, a tube head is the last thing you need.. go solid state..
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbird666 View Post
It's like any other tube amp. It will be usable (depends on your tastes) at low volumes but obviously will sound better when it's cranked up a bit. You need to decide on what you really want: do you want an amp to play in a band with, or an amp to play at home. It's hard for me to see a reason to have a tube head/speaker cab if you don't have the intention of playing in a band, unless you really absolutely have to have that type of amplifier. Either way, any tube amp through a 4x12 or 2x12 is going to be loud and will always sound better the more you crank it up. Sure, some will sound good at lower volumes, but they usually shine once the power tubes start getting some juice running through them.

I'd maybe look into getting a cool head for gigs/playing in bands and finding a good sounding amp for playing around the house if that's what you're mainly going to be doing. I use my 5150 in a band and mainly small practice amps or amp sims through Cubase for practice when at home (sometimes I use the 5150, but it's not as fun and I get in trouble ). Good luck in your search and play as many amps as possible. If you have an awesome budget, there's always the Mesa Mark V, which is very versatile and has variable power that ranges from 90/45/10 watts.
yeah.. what he said.. lol..
Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 PM

haha yeah I know what your saying but to be honest solid state tone is crap. I have been playing guitar for almost 20 years and anytime I turn on a solid state amp it sounds grainy and brittle. I tried the blackstar ht 20 and it was decent at low volumes but I didn't really get to crank it. I am a sucker for good tone. Was just trying to see if anyone else had any ideas for amps. i used to have a 5150 but Its not my thing anymore and 100 watts is way too much. i could never even get that amp to the sweet spot. I may have to get 2 amps. i already have the cab from before.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Just one of the banned

Favorite Axe: Kramer American
Favorite Strings: GHS Progressives 9/10
My Photos: (19)

Can't go wrong with the Carvin V3M.......look at all vids on it. You will be impressed.

Dale
Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Man, there are some real killer low power tube amps out there My wife always said "You are too loud" so I was down to 1 1/2 watts, TV level and it sounded killer. I had to build that one but there are good low power tube amps out there...AND don't skimp on the speaker, I spent more on the speaker than the amp. The speaker is the last chance ya got to get it right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Shred Guitars Endorsed Guitar Painting God

Favorite Axe: Kick ass King V's
Favorite Strings: Fender Bullets
My Photos: (1)
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeme View Post
I just ordered a Cavin V3M myself. It's about as good as it gets. Switchable 50/22/7 watt output, 3 channel, effects loop, boost, reverb all foot controllable. Plus eq for each channel. Like I said, as good as it gets.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...hp?product=V3M

Dale
Dale let me know when you get it, please give us a Full review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vinnie