Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Amp Alley

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Shredder in Training

Favorite Axe: Jackson
Favorite Strings: Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's
My Photos: (2)
My Mood:
Default Modelling Amps - whats your opinion ?

Ok, I admit it,...... I own a Fender G-Dec3 30. It worked out great as a beginner amp, but was a pain in the ass to use on a day to day basis. Scrolling through all the presets to find the one you want / need was idiotic. And the G-Dec community never seemed to really gel, as far as uploading decent presets. I found the only way to use them was to hook up the laptop interface and twist the dials till I got what I wanted. Wasted endless hours making presets when I could have plugged in and practiced.

One thing I do know now, after some years of playing experience, is that a modelling amp will make a Squire sound great, and a PRS SE sound like shit. It wasn't until I switched to a basic amp / pedal combo that I realized how badly the modelling amp hid the true tone of my guitars.

Question I have is, are any of the higher end modelling amps any better ? Damn near every company is making one now, seems to be trendy. Personally, I'm headed in the opposite direction, and looking to score some valve toned goodness.

~ Hound Dog Taylor ~
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM
AKA: Ed Roman Jr.

Favorite Axe: Charvel/Jackson, Edwards
Favorite Strings: D'Addario/9-42
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:

Most modelling products have the same sorts of issues like you say, they make everything sound about the same, even the highest end ones (The Axe FX).

The new Kemper profiling amps are the closest thing to a modeller that doesn't make everything sound the same, though I have heard some good things about some of the newer Line 6 tube amps.

Generally, I try to avoid modelling, but the tone I want is easy for me to get, and its hard for me to justify an amp with a million channels and whatnot when I know I will use 1 the whole time haha
Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Certified Fucking Rock Star

Favorite Axe: ibanez
Favorite Strings: elixers
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:

bleh.. modeling..
Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

I don't hate them, but my ss amp with pedals still sound better than the POD stuff I've heard.
For me, I can't deal with all that programming stuff, anyway.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Shredder in Training

Favorite Axe: Jackson
Favorite Strings: Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's
My Photos: (2)
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneseeker View Post
I don't hate them, but my ss amp with pedals still sound better than the POD stuff I've heard.
For me, I can't deal with all that programming stuff, anyway.
Yep, that's where I'm at now, I've got a late 80's Crate w/ 8" celestions. I use a Philosophers Tone and a Digi Hardwire Tube OD. Sounds a lot better than the G-Dec.

I'll save the modeller for the grandkids

~ Hound Dog Taylor ~
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

Heh heh
Yeah, I hear ya.

My amp right now is a Tech 21 (the Sansamp company) Trademark 10. The 8" speaker isn't great, but it's because it is 8". I've heard they sound great through a 4x12 from some dudes that have them (who also have big ol Marshalls )
They don't make the Trademark 10 anymore, now they make the Trademark 30, which is 30 watts with a 10" speaker.
The Trademark amps take the pedals well, and I like using pedals.