Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Shredding Is My Business... And Business Is Good

Favorite Axe: Kramer, ESP, Fender, Rickenbacker, Charvel
Favorite Strings: Elixer 10-46
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:
Default NGD: Charvel Spectrum

So I just snagged this from a local music store. They had it mislabeled and going for a ridiculously low price. The body was very dusty, but doesn't have a ton of scratches in it. It does have several small dings around the edges on the bottom though, and someone intentionally scratched the pickguard up a whole bunch... pretty stupid if you ask me as the scratching in the guard is like, side-to-side not up/down as if it were scratched/relic-ed from playing it. I traded my Kramer XL1 for it.... easily a worthwhile trade.

It's black, rosewood fretboard. Totally stock, JT-590 schaller/jackson tremolo, and fits the same arm that I have from ESP/schaller floyd. I'll be picking up a chrome arm for this shortly, but for now the black one is fine. It also has this funky parametric EQ / mid boost active preamp inside of it, although the pickups are passive and will work without the 9V battery in it. It has a switch that enables and disables it, the tone control is non-functional when disabled. It puts out some really wacky sounds, I love it.

It also had ludicrously high action when I get it, but I've been known to perform some magic with setups and I succeeded... the lowest 3-4 frets are a little worn in but the rest are pretty solid and compared to the guitar I traded, this thing plays 95% as well as my Pacer Custom 2, which is my main guitar. I'm very impressed.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Oh yeah, and it said it came with a case and it didn't really fit the one from my trade-in because of the reverse headstock... so they found an unassigned case in the back... it's a brand new Road Runner case. I'm stoked, got the case for free basically!

Also, I feel like a glossed over the active parametric EQ a bit. This might be the coolest feature I've ever had on a guitar... I can tune it to make my single coils sound almost humbucker-like, or turn it a little deeper or wider and it'll do some crazy half-wah sounds and there's even a certain spot that almost sounds like a harmonizer pedal because the frequencies just line up or something. It doesn't sound very good wide open though, but no big deal. I turned the trim pot on the inside to the max to experiment with, I'm sure if I rolled it back a little it'd be less harsh on that end. Seriously though, it sounds ridiculous. I'll never use another guitar to play Cars songs ever again.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

Very nice.

That preamp thing sounds interesting.
Might have to do some research on that.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM

My Mood:

I have saturday and sunday off this week so it's very likely I will be posting a youtube video demonstrating the sound of the mid boost. There aren't really any good ones online and that's criminal.

I was just using it for "Money for Nothing," that half-cocked wah sound is great. I can kick on the active EQ for the main part, then flip it off for the verses and it's a totally smooth transition. Fantastic!
Much nicer than using a real wah as you never quite find that same spot if you need it for multiple parts in a song, plus with the switch there is no swell when you go to turn off the wah.

My only major gripe so far is that the mini-switch, volume control, and floyd arm all fall very close together and I fumble a little sometimes trying to make adjustments, especially since the EQ knob is EXTREMELY sensitive. I'll probably adjust the trim pot a little to get rid of the high side that I never use and allow me to fine tune the Eq a bit more precisely on the fly.

EDIT: The EQ is the "JE-1500 para-mid EQ" if you need some direction for your research.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Grand Wizard - Brotherhood Of The Holy Headstock

Favorite Axe: Floyd Rose Arrow & Seattle
Favorite Strings: D'Addario 11's
My Photos: (35)
My Mood:

Fantastic score LW!

The Spectrum was Charvel's answer to everyone digging the custom orange w/white pickguard Jackson Soloist that Jeff Beck used to play

BTW the J-200 pickups in there are stacked magnet pups, so they're essentially low impedance humbuckers.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Love the Spectrum
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
Fantastic score LW!

The Spectrum was Charvel's answer to everyone digging the custom orange w/white pickguard Jackson Soloist that Jeff Beck used to play

BTW the J-200 pickups in there are stacked magnet pups, so they're essentially low impedance humbuckers.

Ah yeah, I was aware they were stacked hums. They still have a nice single-coilish chime to them but get really... brown.. gritty when overdriven.

I've seen that Jackson before too, always liked it. This thing also looks frighteningly similar to the Elliot Easton Kramers... which I love.

Also, I work at Sea World now and I was showing a buddy of mine the guitar... they told me I should do a Killer Whale show or something with it hahaha. Sure would be the perfect guitar for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbolt View Post
Love the Spectrum
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Shredder in Training

Favorite Axe: Jackson
Favorite Strings: Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's
My Photos: (2)
My Mood:

Nice snag !!

~ Hound Dog Taylor ~