Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Guitar Tech

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: Dean VMNTX United Abominations
Favorite Strings: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms
My Photos: (3)
My Mood:
Default Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem SH-6 Humbucker Pair

I'm debating what new pups I want for my axe when the jolly old fat man comes to town () and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this set or an SH-6 pup in general. Any feedback?

I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am Than Loved For Who I'm Not.
~Kurt Cobain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

The Duncan Distortion is one of my favorite bridge pickups of all time. Supposedly it is a JB with a different magnet but it sure sounds better.
I prefer to use a Duncan 59 in the neck but then I've never tried a DD neck pickup so I don't know what they sound like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM

My Mood:

Awesome. I just need to make sure it can handle what I want (super fucking high gain).

~Kurt Cobain

Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Yes and it stays tight, doesn't get flubby, you still have note definition. I use a Duel Rec on the red channel cranked and the pickup works. You can get good controlled feedback too, squeals like a pig.

Metal

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Grand Wizard - Brotherhood Of The Holy Headstock

Favorite Axe: Floyd Rose Arrow & Seattle
Favorite Strings: D'Addario 11's
My Photos: (35)
My Mood:

I have a matched set in my Industrial SG (all aluminum). If killing is your game then these are your pickups!

As Jon said the bridge model is just plain nasty...thick and abrasive but with a clear attack and lots-o harmonics. The SH-6n is like the bridge model but with less gain and a little more bottom & mids. Kinda reminds me of the Duncan Custom with the volume slightly rolled back. This is not the pickup for doing those cute emo dynamics...it doesn't care much about pick attack. It does provide a nice thick distorted rhythm tho and a change of pace from the bridge pup.

Remember to lay down some plastic and wear a raincoat...It's a Gwar show in pickup form.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Just one of the banned

Favorite Axe: Kramer American
Favorite Strings: GHS Progressives 9/10
My Photos: (19)

Blackouts. Nothing Else needs to be said.

Dale
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 AM

My Mood:

I Think I'll go with the set from what I've heard. I don't want to have to get my guitar rewired to be active and all that. If the set is high gain enough and passive, it'll be a cheaper process.

~Kurt Cobain

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM
NFG

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
I have a matched set in my Industrial SG (all aluminum). If killing is your game then these are your pickups!

As Jon said the bridge model is just plain nasty...thick and abrasive but with a clear attack and lots-o harmonics. The SH-6n is like the bridge model but with less gain and a little more bottom & mids. Kinda reminds me of the Duncan Custom with the volume slightly rolled back. This is not the pickup for doing those cute emo dynamics...it doesn't care much about pick attack. It does provide a nice thick distorted rhythm tho and a change of pace from the bridge pup.

Remember to lay down some plastic and wear a raincoat...It's a Gwar show in pickup form.
Thanks you for the post.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 PM

Favorite Axe: Ibanez Rg with Duncan metal mayhem set Aria Pro II With Dimarzio Dual Tone Mutt with Dimarzio Super
Favorite Strings: dr 09-42
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:

I've got the set in my Ibanez, they replaced the Dimarzio Super Distortion as my favorite pick up. Nice and chunky but still clear and very good at metal and rock, I play in a cover band and these things can even play Shania Twain songs great.