Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Guitar Tech

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

My Photos: (0)
Default Duncan Pickup Question

Okay, I've got a question for you Seymour Duncan experts. I wanna upgrade the pickup in one of my guitars to some sort of Duncan, but am not sure on which one.

First of all, the guitar has a maple neck and fretboard, Floyd Rose, single bridge pup, 24 frets, and either an alder or poplar body, I forgot which one.

I mostly play stuff like Stryper, Megadeth, Dokken, Lynch Mob, and other 80's hair metal stuff. Though occasionally I like to play blues, thrash, rockabilly, and classic rock.

I don't need a great clean tone because this isn't a main guitar, but hopefully one that would be use-able with some chorus mixed in.

I know most of my favorite bands use Seymour Duncan so I thought it'd be a great place to start, plus I have a Mockingbird with Duncan's in it that sounds great. I just don't know what they are, as it was given to me with them previously installed.

On the SD Forum, I was suggested the Custom Series, I know nothing about them, so what do you guys think? I'm also looking at the JB and the Screamin' Demon. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 AM

Favorite Axe: Ibanez Rg with Duncan metal mayhem set Aria Pro II With Dimarzio Dual Tone Mutt with Dimarzio Super
Favorite Strings: dr 09-42
My Mood:

I have a Duncan Distortion in my Ibanez, it isn't great for clean, but as soon as you add a bit of gain and distortion it screams beautifully!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM

See, I was looking at that, but most of the reviews I read said it'd be too shrill in my already bright guitar..but I definitely wanna try one in my Mockingbird sometime!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:
Talking

I've used most of them and I usually end up with a Duncan Distortion. The Screaming Demon is bright and I consider it low gain, got one in a Baretta. For a neck position I like the 59 and I have been getting into the parallel axes Duncans at the bridge but they cost a bit more - they work real good on short scale mahogany body guitars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
ShredGuitars Mix-it Man

Favorite Axe: 83 Maple Pacer Special
Favorite Strings: XL.009
My Mood:

I would go with a DD or JBJ (the vintage ones, with that last J initial).

When I get home next week I want to post my 1000 striper that I worked on Christmas weekend. Installed that zebra JBJ that Dave sold me earlier in the year and was really worried because the M22 (super hot ass kicker) was in it for almost ten years and loved it/ recorded most of my tracks with it, just was my go-to.

That JBJ kicks it's ass up and down the street in every way, it's simply fantastic.

I went the Distortion route a couple of times over the past 5-6 years and I really really like them, many ways an improvement for hard rock over the JB and when you back the volume down it cleans up really nice and still has killer tone.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM

I've gotten a lot of suggestions for the Distortion lately. At first the people on the SD Forum said it might be too bright, but I'm just gonna give it a shot. If it is too bright and shrill, I can always return it or mess with the pots. Thanks guys!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Grand Wizard - Brotherhood Of The Holy Headstock

Favorite Axe: Floyd Rose Arrow & Seattle
Favorite Strings: D'Addario 11's
My Photos: (35)
My Mood:

I think the Distortion sounds like the pup for you too. But if it does sound too bright...give the Custom (SH-5) or Parallel Axis (PATB-1) a shot. I've had great luck with the Custom in alder, poplar, maple, and ash guitars. Also the PATB has one of the lowest resonant peaks (along with the PATB-2 Distortion) of all Duncan pups and it looks cool too.Good luck in your search for the ultimate tone!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
ShredGuitars Mix-it Man

Favorite Axe: 83 Maple Pacer Special
Favorite Strings: XL.009
My Mood:

I agree. It's got the tone, it can get seriously angry and can do a fairly decent rich clean with the vol down a few notches.

If you get it in zebra and don't like it post it up here, one of us will snag it (some of us are kinda zebra freaks) .
Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 PM

They didn't have the Trembucker at Guitar Center, so they're gonna call Seymour Duncan directly, they should give me a call on Monday or Tuesday they said.. n' I plan on getting it in zebra, I'm a zebra freak too haha.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Tinkerdude

Favorite Strings: Dean Markley NBs 10-52
My Photos: (30)

I will go another way and say Custom. great pickup

and I will also say do not get a Screamin Demon! I had one and it was waaaay bright in my Les Paul.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Hand over that Maple neck slowly and nobody will get hurt...

Favorite Axe: Robin Medley
Favorite Strings: Ernie Ball Slinky 9's

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneseeker View Post
I will go another way and say Custom. great pickup

and I will also say do not get a Screamin Demon! I had one and it was waaaay bright in my Les Paul.
Even though the Distortion pup is the best pup ever IMO, I would suggest a Custom as well....love those ceramic mag pickups. The Custom 5 though is not good. But thats just my opinion and personal taste. You've just got to experiment and see what you like.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
NFG

Favorite Axe: B. C. Rich Mockingbird

I own a Mockingbird with an original Floyd and maple neck-thru body. It was a bit on the bright side. I popped a set of Dimarzio Breeds in there and it sings! Rolled off the highs and pushed the mids up. It really cuts through the mix now.