Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Shredding Is My Business... And Business Is Good

Favorite Axe: Kramer, ESP, Fender, Rickenbacker, Charvel
Favorite Strings: Elixer 10-46
My Photos: (0)
My Mood:
Default NGD! Pacer Deluxe

Sup everyone, I haven't been around in a while I know. You guys will probably all hate me, but I haven't been playing as much and mostly have been concentrating on production of uh... pop stuff. Club music, dubstep, that kind of stuff. I know , but hey, I get more attention with that stuff than with guitar music. Don't worry though, I usually incorporate some guitar into my songs anyway. Perhaps I'll post something later on here, stay tuned.

So all of that aside, I recently won myself for what I consider a KILLER deal on eBay.. a ~1986 Pacer Deluxe in champagne. The thing looks brand new, a few finish cracks on the top of the body edge where your arm would rest but otherwise the thing looks incredible. Kind of looks similar to the 25th Anniversary Stratocasters they ran in 1979, I've always liked those. Kramer neck is far better though... so this works out quite well.

And as usual when I acquire a new piece of gear, I have a few questions for the knowledgeable around here. First, the pictures though:

Non-original case, but I knew that going in. Case is pretty much identical to the Focus cases, but this one is obviously brand new. The guy probably bought it just for this sale... Not a super nice case but functional and clean. Also it's straight so the headstock doesn't hit the sides... actually better than the TKL case that came with my other Pacer.

Pickups are: Bareknuckle "Rebel Yell" and "Slow Hand" single coils. I'm very impressed with the single coils. Rebel Yell is nice and a bit clearer than my JB's but with less output. Has a bit of "brown" fizz in the high end, sounds nice so it'll stay. I actually really like the little ray gun graphic, it's cheesy but kinda cool at the same time.

Okay so here's my question: this has a 1-piece R2 neck, with no skunk stripe. It has a headstock splice, but it doesn't go all the way up. the tip near the low-E tuner is a little triangular piece like on the 3-piece pointy necks. Anyone know what the deal is on this neck? Transitional? It also has a way flatter radius than my later-86 Pacer with the 3-piece, but the headstock fronts and profiles are identical. Same finish and such too. This Deluxe has an early E 2000's serial too so that'd be about the transition time from the banana headstock shape. It also has a thicker C shape as opposed to my 3-piece's thinner "D" shape neck.

Here's the front of the headstock. It looks legit to me.

Closeup of that ray gun graphic on the Rebel Yell pickup. OFR is correct, screw in arm is a replacement part but you'd never be able to tell. It's interchangeable with my other floyd's arm. The body is perfect, doesn't even have the neck pocket cracks that all bolt-ons get.

And one more question: the trem cavity cover is recessed. The later E-plate bodies don't have recessed backplates and the C-xxxx pacers aren't recessed either. I couldn't find another for comparison, so could someone with a D or early E plate Pacer Deluxe tell me if their back plates are recessed as well? It also has the little cutout so you can adjust the tension on the floyd arm wheras my later Pacer doesn't, which is peculiar. It also has a trem blocker which I've never seen, usually the ones that came stock on Pacers are a bar across the springs perpendicular... so was this added on? or something else transitional? Either way, it works. This is the easiest guitar to tune up that I have (with a floyd). I'll probably take it out though, I like being able to pull up on the bar.

I actually looked at Focus bodies and such to see if this was perhaps a mutt or something, but this looks like a legitimate American one. I figure I either got a killer deal on a Pacer, or paid a little above average for a Focus. That's cool with me, it's a great player and that's what I needed.

Here's an updated family pic. The XL1 isn't pictured, just my main players (all Floyded.. interesting coincidence..). I still find that my Maverick is still my primary studio instrument though, the recessed floyd allows for more interesting stuff in solos, the shorter scale is easier to play when I'm sitting down with my headphones on in a small space surrounded by computer monitors, and the 24-frets is useful (sometimes). However, I think this new Deluxe beats out my previous Custom II for my primary "player" guitar. It weighs a lot less (thank goodness..) and the rounded body is easier on me, though I can't ever wear a belt with this guitar, huge back area with not a scratch on it means I'll have to take extra good care of her.

Note: this ebay seller was also exellent. I won this Sunday afternoon, the guy gave me the tracking number early monday morning and it showed up yesterday (wednesday) at my door. Pretty incredible, basically two-day shipping from NY to GA. He even refunded me a few bucks from the shipping being below the estimate.

So now all I need is a bass player with a bright blue kramer bass.. then I'd have a killer 4th of July instrument setup haha.

lonewolfsx fucked with this message on : 08-23-2012 at 03:49 AM
Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Sweet! You have an early one, the Champagne one in my picture is the same era, has the recessed trem cover and the headstock splice, one of the nicest necks Kramer made. Some had the skunk stripe and some didn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 AM

My Mood:

Ah this is good to know. The neck really is killer, I wanted something a little more regular stratocaster like and the neck profile and pickguard/pickups really fit that bill nicely. Fretboard radius a little flat for my tastes but that's probably because I learned on a 7.25" Telecaster back in "the day" (like ~5 years ago. haha.).

Thanks for the info, I kind of bought this one on a whim and didn't do my usual super-anal hardcore examination of every possible detail to ensure it's an authentic model...
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM
ShredGuitars Mix-it Man

Favorite Axe: 83 Maple Pacer Special
Favorite Strings: XL.009
My Mood:

serial number?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM

My Mood:

E 2000 something... I'm not at my place right now but the serial number would be about right for a transition era neck.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: kramer BARETTA
My Photos: (1)

Sick! Rebel yell BKP with ray gun graphic looks killer! That thing must scream i bet!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM
The Mad Scientist

Favorite Axe: Charvel,Hamer,Kramer,Homebuilt Mini Bich, Jackson!
My Photos: (6)
My Mood:

That looks great!

HNGD.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM
NFG

Favorite Axe: Kramer Pacer
My Mood:

really sweet, love that color.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM
The Mad Scientist

My Mood:

I just got an 83 Pacer Deluxe...has some issues but it will be a killer player.
It's an awesome cream color.
No stripe, rosewood board.
Modded for HB in the neck position.
Schaller HB's, Dimarzio SC.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
NFG

Favorite Axe: Kramer Showster

Congrats!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't monkey with me....

Favorite Axe: Kramer - JonSwans and StageMasters
Favorite Strings: DRs pure blues 10's
My Photos: (41)
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
Sounds like a plan - a Deluxe is a great axe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That was a joke son! A joke!" Foghorn Leghorn
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM
NFG

My Mood:

Sounds like a killer guitar =) Hopefully you can get that neck pocket issue sorted

Quote:
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
The Mad Scientist

My Mood:

Hey switch!
You know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM
NFG

My Mood:

Quote:

Hey switch!
You know what I'm talking about.
Oh yay! all I know is that the neck is rare and unfinished and the frets are real nice! Nothing like the old kramer frets.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: Kramer
Favorite Strings: anything 9's
My Mood:

Nice guitar dude. The recessed trem cavity only came out in 1985. The E2000 is at the end of the tranny line but pending what they grabbed at the time, I've seen tranny's beyond the 2k mark...not much, but they are there. My guess is they had some extra deluxe bodies laying around in early '86 and put that neck on it. Not uncommon at all.

When Kramer went from the naner to the tranny, the logo was the same "Kramer" and after the short tranny period the logo said "KRAMER American" of course without the skunk stripe.

The body, neck and plate number all sound legit and period correct. The after market tremsetter is just that, after market.

Nice Score!