PDA

View Full Version : Focus/F-1000's

BeN5150
09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Who here has one of these and what do you think of them, I might be thinking about buying one of these, a Charvel model 2, BC Rich Gunslinger or a Baretta soon.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ben

RockStringBender
09-10-2006, 12:30 AM
It's a very serious axe, and it is very attractively priced for the playability factors that it brings with it. I like the early pointys with the straight block logo. The pyramid logo focus' don't feel the same to me...

The F-1000 has one thing that many don't like, the pickups. They are a hot wound no-name humbucker and I've had 5 of them and they where all different. They seemed to wind the coils at random, like they where watching TV and stoped and terminated when the commercials came on :icon_lol: They all had balls, some had tone, none were duncan SH's or Distortions- not in the same league.

2nd hit, and it's just my observation having had focus' and american barettas. The paint on the focus seems more brittle and easier to ding. Don't know why, mine just always picked up more rash than the americans. The headstock paint was just like the americans for durability IMO, it's just the bodies, and it's not something to get wrapped around the axle about.

On the plus side I can only say good things about the rest of the 1000:

Neck- one peice maple neck, non-angled, flatter radius than american neck. slim yet there's meat there, very quality ESP made unit. Never seem a maple board on one but the rosewoods are nice and warm and comfortable.

Body- poplar, well made, horns are a touch (top one anyway) longer than the baretta, routed for a slanted pup and FR. Very comfortable and good weight factor.

Original FR- 'nuff said. The posts are the screw in kind and they are as vulnerable as any american but the studs blow out too so WTF. I've flogged the SHIT out of one of my 1000's (the stripper) for years and it's seen more stage and studio time than any axe that I own except the DMZ that I kugged around through the '80s.

They are setup to come with the flush mount- I have (had for 3 of them) put a .020" shim under the front of the neck heel and raised mine offf the deck for a floating setup and the harmonics just ring from one end of the neck to the other. I have one very minty '86 pale yellow with original case that I left stock because it's stayed mostly in the case since I got it.

If you can snagg one try to get it for 150 bucks or less and if you really feel it go $200. I paid more than 3 bills for the minty one but I was kinda wacked at the time. It's worth that much as a player but I could have gotten 2 less minty one's for the money. The stripper was picked up for $75 in a pawn shop and it looked like it had been to war. I strung her up and had an instant player in my hands.

I didn't want a tribute so I went with my fav kramer colors, white, cream/yellow and black. It's my signature axe and if someone walks into a club that I crash they know I'm there from the front door. I put an M-22 pup in it but most like the SD's

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/MVC-805F.jpg
Here's the minty fresh one

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2173.jpg

If you don't want to go 350-450 bills (or more, some axes much more) for a baretta this is the one to try to find..

Giarc
09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
One of my fav guitars is a mongrel made from a Focus 1000 body, Pacer Deluxe neck and S.D. JB humbucker. It was put together around '88 and has been one of my best tone guitars all this time. Aint the prettiest thing around, but I'm still diggin this thing :thumbs:
http://www.voguehost.com/ims/u/giarc/My%20photos/Mongrel2.jpg

RockStringBender
09-13-2006, 01:48 AM
Nice one bro!! That "mut" you built is technically a slender-bodied Pacer Custom with a slanted hum!! That bitch should scream tone and round-sound (not brown, round) with a JB in it. Looks like it might be an R5 nut on that beaker too- a tappers dream :eusa_danc

Giarc
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Looks like it might be an R5 nut on that beaker too- a tappers dream :eusa_danc

Thanks, man. Yeah, this one's got tone for days. Oh, but it's actually an R2, a really great player.

axebuilder
09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Who here has one of these and what do you think of them, I might be thinking about buying one of these, a Charvel model 2, BC Rich Gunslinger or a Baretta soon.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ben

I have a 80's gunslinger, and a few in the past. Good guitars I'd still buy them for the right price. A plain jane one (solid color) I would't pay more then $350 for it.People these days have been selling them for 500 + I just dont think its worth it, but I think that way on a lot of guitars :eusa_whis

Jack Butler
03-01-2007, 01:46 AM
The Focus 1000 has pretty short frets so it's not as easy to play as your typical Jackson or Ibanez. The neck has girth to it, which you will love or hate depending on what kind of player you are. The worst part is the heel which can be a bitch when playing leads. At least some of the MIJ Charvels have the contoured heel which helps in that area. But otherwise, they're good. The Original Floyd is worth the price of admission.

ynaut holliday
05-09-2007, 02:27 AM
I picked up my focus 1000 the other day and have to say it is awesome. I keep it tuned down a half step along with a couple of other guitars and kinda put the focus in the back. It is completely all stock and it just rocks. the neck is just right for me and overall the guitar just feels good to play. I don't know why I stopped playing it, but it is definitely back in rotation.

Kevin