PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose guitars revisited

wfojon
08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I picked up a Discovery model on close out from MF.
Then I started watching the bay and "score"!!! I found a real USA Redmond neck, loaded pick guard with the best sounding pickups ever, and a real German made black Speedloader so here it is:http://shredguitars.com/collections/data/512/medium/sweet_1_1.jpg
The neck is unfinished on the back and can you say smooth! it's better than the YO reissues neck by a bunch, should be the guitars list for 2800 bucks.http://shredguitars.com/collections/data/512/medium/FR_headstock2_2_1.jpg
Floyd Rose got the best pickup man Gibson had to design these and you can hear it. The pick guard is called the fly and I dig it. http://shredguitars.com/collections/data/512/medium/FR_body_1_1.JPG
This is my player I always reach for it every time. There will be strings for it forever just like parts for anything Floyd made.
Jon

BeN5150
08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
it looks great man!

wfojon
08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Ben:thumbs:

I wish you were closer so you could come over and play a few.

Jon

RockStringBender
08-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Now that one has me lookin'.... is it a single volume with a 3-way for the pup selection? Hows the body feel straped to ya? \

Nice lookin' axe bro.

wfojon
08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
RSB, you have a name? I like to know people. :icon_bigg
That's right, a three way and volume knob, what more do you need.:icon_wink
The body is almost exactly like the Pacers with the dinky body, my favorite, it just feels right siting or standing for me.
Did I say these are the best sounding pickups I've ever had?:icon_lol:
They are clear even heavily distorted, what I mean there is no mud.

Jon

RockStringBender
08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah man, I'm Bob. I'm real interested in the pup's as I can't get satisfaction out of double humbuckers after playin' barettas and HSS pacers. I'm re-working a Vangaurd right now and i'm thinkin' of putting a SD Distortion (just snagged it, never played one) in the bridge and ? in the neck position.

My old DMZ is rockin' and it is what it is but on my epi and pacer custom the sounds I get are just not cutting through like I want. I know I'll get flamed for this but the pacer has an SH4 and JB setup and I just don't get the hype compared to my shreder axes. Way thick and dare I say it.... muddy....

On the setup on yer axe- tone knobs are meaningless to me. I've been playing since '75 and they have always been on 10. Same with tapcoils- They stay in full 'bucker mode onstage and when I F with them in the studio or practice it lasts about 2 bars and then back to "full-on"...

I'm very interested in these FR axes. If you can, please run down the models and which ones are the 'Keepers'

BeN5150
08-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks Ben:thumbs:

I wish you were closer so you could come over and play a few.

Jon

:icon_lol: I live on damn near the opposite corner of North America, but I'll make it someday soon :eusa_thin , I could fly direct, or take a road trip and meet all the bro's

wfojon
08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
:icon_lol: I live on damn near the opposite corner of North America, but I'll make it someday soon :eusa_thin , I could fly direct, or take a road trip and meet all the bro's

Man Ben when I was your age them was the magic words "ROAD TRIP" best times of my life was when you yelled road trip and took off.
"It's not the destination but the journey"

wfojon
08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=I'm very interested in these FR axes. If you can, please run down the models and which ones are the 'Keepers'[/QUOTE]
Hi Bob,
My pleasure to know you. Go to FloydRose.com and read all about the axes and his pickups.
I really like the Redmond USA series, made in Washington state, and so I've done some research. I found out the factory in Redmond closed down a year ago and they are not making the USA ones anymore and I'm not sure how much longer HHS, the company that bought Floyd Rose Guitars two or three years ago will keep importing the Discovery ones which are made in China.
One thing is for certain is that Floyd Rose International will still be there and supplying parts and strings for all his trems.
I contacted sales at Floyd Rose and within a few weeks you will be able to buy his pickups direct too. I'm after a red signature bridge hum.
Check my Floyd Rose album for some more pictures.

Jon

RockStringBender
08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Good to meet you too, Bro, thanks for the welcome and info!:thumbs:

Running out to see if these things are available I gasped when I saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-Rose-Redmond-Model-5-Prototype-Signed-by-Floyd_W0QQitemZ110026090772QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2384 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WOW!!! FR's signature is not worth $1000!!! (is it???) What are the Redmonds going for? Are the China production models worth a look?

wfojon
08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh yes bro, a new Redmond will set you back about 1800 from music123 or any of the big on line places. Did you check out the posting in ebay for the V24 a while back?
The Discovery is 200 - 400 depending, they are like the Kramer Focus overseas made but close to the same spec. The pickups are just so so though.

Jon

CaptainClaw
08-27-2006, 11:45 PM
oh man... road trips. I miss being younger sometimes bro. You just brought it back to me hehe. I remember one road trip we started out in N.E. Pennsylvania and decided we were gonna hitchhike to Los Angeles and become rock stars. Next thing I know, me and my buddy are standing in the middle of Indianapolis Indiana with 12 dollars to our name. We decided to turn back LOL... it's a long story how we got back, but it was a friggin blast!! Thanks for bringing back that memory!

CaptainClaw
08-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh, by the way, I saw a Discovery here at a local Guitar Center (they only have one left) and if I recall it was like $150 brand new. That's not bad is it? hehe maybe I should snag her up.

mike2731
08-28-2006, 07:32 AM
That's a damn nice looking guitar there mountain man! :thumbs:

I know I'm not going to be spending the coin on one anytime soon, but I'd love to check them out. I wonder if they'll be one of those guitars that drop in price since they aren't being made, then in 10 years are worth like $5K?

I just went through a guitar "reorganization" lately....out with some old, in with some new. I may just have to check the Redmond's out next time I do that...

wfojon
08-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Capt,

That's what the Floyd is worth on one of those, grab that dude for 150. I'll bet you would like it.
Jon:thumbs:

CaptainClaw
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah I was thinking that same thing bro. I might roll back down there to see if it's still around.

wfojon
08-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Do that and if you don't like it I'll get it from you.