PDA

View Full Version : Musicyo 1984 Kramers

Shredaholic
12-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Are these imports? I've heard people say they are and other say USA...

The Furious One
12-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Are these imports? I've heard people say they are and other say USA...
Right now they are assembled in the US. But will be totally US built in the near future!

BananaHead
12-20-2005, 09:48 PM
As a matter of fact, I think the 84s may be in the full US status. Don't quote me on this, but I think that might have something to do with the price jump.

mike2731
12-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Just don't question the 30% Jersey Star price increase or else the Music Yo Cronies will come out in full force.....oh wait, we're not in Kansas anymore Toto....maybe we CAN discuss the price increase intelligently here! :icon_wink

kramerlover
12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Right now they are assembled in the US. But will be totally US built in the near future!

Does anyone know what company builds the parts for the 1984's and Jersey Stars? (You know... like ESP did for the 80's American Series)

I had a 1984 that I thoght was very nice... but not as comfortable to play as my 80's Kramers...

The Furious One
12-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Bill, I could be wrong, but I believe the parts were being made in the cort factory in Korea

mike2731
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Weren't the parts built at one of those Korean guitar plants? I thought I read that somewhere along the line, but I could be wrong.

kramerlover
12-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Bill, I could be wrong, but I believe the parts were being made in the cort factory in Korea

Cort????? Who ever heard of a $1,000 Cort? :ahhh:

CaptainClaw
12-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Just don't question the 30% Jersey Star price increase or else the Music Yo Cronies will come out in full force.....oh wait, we're not in Kansas anymore Toto....maybe we CAN discuss the price increase intelligently here! :icon_winkYeah bro you're safe :)
I think the price increase was insane as well. I mean, I can totally understand how moving production to being 100% USA would cost more, but who actually looked at the numbers and said "Yeah, 30% price increase for building here sounds ok to pass on to the customers to me"?? I could understand if they came out with a new "USA" line and they cost more than the Korean models, but to boost prices on an instrument that much where there is no real advantage/incentive for the customer to buy.... I don't get it. I think it was a bad move IMO.

Mitchel at Mean Street Guitars (http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/) has better guitars for sale (http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/Mean%20Guitars.htm) at a WAY better price. Just sayin...

FairWarning
12-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I know for a fact most of the lower line is/was made in China. I also know for a fact that it doesn't take that much money to build a quality single hum guitar. On the same note, if had to hire some help, my prices would have to go up for sure. But hey, I'm not complaining about their price increase. :icon_bigg

As a collector of vintage Kramer guitars, I just hate the fact that they used the same damn names as the models before. It seems it's all about the money...no love for what the original Kramer company started and built...even if they did have a white Christmas 365 days a year!

CaptainClaw
12-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree 100% on their naming choices! Bad choice for carrying on the Kramer name...

mike2731
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
When this was discussed elsewhere, they kept using the term "resurecting the Kramer name", and always seemed to make me feel like I should be happy that the Yo guys were even making them at all. I always personally felt like Gibson decided since they owned the Kramer name, they thought they'd try out this little direct to consumer sales format they had stashed away, and just threw the Kramer name on it. I don't think it's anything like Fender buying Jackson, because Jackson was alive all the way through. The Music Yo Kramers are not in any way linked to the originals, other than the name, and the fact that the company is trying to put out a line of vintage Kramer copies to take advantage of a small niche market (mainly the Kramer die-hards from the KF). There was what, a 10 year disappearance of the Kramer name? The guys there are doing there best to create some nice Kramer copies, but I really can't see the consensus ever truely embracing the Yo guitars as a "REAL" Kramer. Honestly, I'm going to buy a real Vintage Sambora every day of the week over a Jersey Star, given the $1000+ price tag on those now.

wfojon
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
You know, the feeling I always got from the Yo site was it is run be some kid of a big wig in gibson. They needed a place to stick the kid so they let them play with some of the old names they own.
It sure isn't run like a business that needs to make money.

Jon

BananaHead
12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, some of the Yo fans have gone as far as to say that the YO's are better than the originals... NO WAY. I LOATHE musicyo Kramers, and I would never spend money on one. I just think they are blasphemous. And whoever designed the standard YO Kramer headstock needs to be fired. That thing is fucking HIDEOUS :hurl:

bulldog
12-22-2005, 05:31 AM
You know, the feeling I always got from the Yo site was it is run be some kid of a big wig in gibson. They needed a place to stick the kid so they let them play with some of the old names they own.
It sure isn't run like a business that needs to make money.

Jon

Exactly...the whole out-of-stock (most of the time) thing seems to be a pretty stupid to me if a business is actually trying to sell a product. It does create some heightened demand but these new prices should bring any demand for these down real quick.

Roger...

kramerlover
12-23-2005, 08:14 PM

Jon

:rofl:

That is probably true!

Jon... you ROCK!

Bill

bill3
12-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Has anybody played the 84 model that's familiar with the originals?
I wondered how true the neck contour is? I know the pickup is different.
I called Gibson to check up on the alleged Baretta & Nightswan reissues, and they said to check with music yo. I did and they replied the new models are coming soon.

TwilightOdyssey
12-24-2005, 09:04 AM
This thread is very interesting.

I'm looking for a quality 'beater' guitar to take on the road. Would you think that a Meanstreets, with an OFR and upgraded pickup, would be a better choice than the 1984?

kramerlover
12-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Has anybody played the 84 model that's familiar with the originals?
I wondered how true the neck contour is? I know the pickup is different.
I called Gibson to check up on the alleged Baretta & Nightswan reissues, and they said to check with music yo. I did and they replied the new models are coming soon.

I have owned both. The m-yo model had a chunkier neck. It also felt like a cheaper guitar. I bought my m-yo 1984 for about $550.00 on eBay in mint condition... I only kept it a short while because I wanted cash for another guitar... and I decided that I would rather part with the m-yo than an original 80's Kramer.

IMHO... the 80's Kramers are much better instruments dollar for dollar. If I can get a nice condition used vintage Kramer for around $500... I would rather have that than spending that same amount (or more) on a yo.

I have tried several yos... and the only one I still kept is the Nightrider - which is a semi-hollow 335 shaped (but smaller). I bought it brand new from musicyo for $199 (I think) on a "customer appreciation sale". It is a nice guitar for that price... but I wouldn't want to pay much more than that for it!

Buy vintage when you see a decent price!

DISCLAIMER;

The content of this post doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of the moderators of this forum. If the m-yo gestapo is reading this (and I'm sure they are)... please forgive us for our honesty and integrity...

Mr. Smarty Pants
12-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey twilight. Get a Meanstreet geetar. Mitch knows what he's doing and I know it will be better quality.

Jerry

TwilightOdyssey
12-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Hey twilight. Get a Meanstreet geetar. Mitch knows what he's doing and I know it will be better quality.
Thanx, Holoflash!!

Axeme
12-26-2005, 06:26 AM
Yep, Mitchel at Meanstreet does top notch work. Can't go wrong there! As far as Yo is concerned........I think their price hike was a real shame. I think the American line could have done well, but probably not at their current price...IMO.

D:headbangd

TwilightOdyssey
12-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Thanx, guys!

I'm going to drop them an email today. I'm really liking the white Evolution guitar, black scratchplate, liscensed floyd, strat style headstock, etc etc. If only it had a reverse headstock!! :headbangd

HERC
12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
I might just snag an EVO myself, Ben.....EVO II looks pretty cool also...:)

TwilightOdyssey
12-28-2005, 04:45 AM
Mitch emailed me back today ... very helpful guy!

I'm gonna dig up the scratch for the Evolution in white, I think.

HERC
12-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Let me know when you get that bad boy...:)

TwilightOdyssey
12-28-2005, 05:18 AM
Let me know when you get that bad boy...:)
Will do!

I'm planning on taking it on the road for a few shows we're doing in mid-March with Ripper's new band (slated headliner), Attacker, and October 31.

bkeen
12-28-2005, 10:10 PM
I have heard that Mitchel is the man! No doubt!

That being said I have to say I love my 1984. It just feels special and has a scooped sound to it. Crunchy and sweet! It was a steal for the $699 I paid for it. They have gone up and I can't tell you whether that would have made a difference or not, might have. The prices went up on yo just about a month before Gibson raised prices on it's guitars. The LP standards are now like $2300 the Classics are $1900. Fender raised it's prices too. American strat is like $950, American Deluxe is now $1100. So $840 is not out of line in my book considering what your getting.

In 2004, I bought the 1984 for $699 I bought an American Strat for $850 and a LP Standard for 1,850. So as you can see, it is not just a yo thing to gouge the buyer. I know my gas, electric, insurance etc... has gone up so I have to expect the same from the guitar manufacturers.

But if you are going for a custom build or work, by all means to go to Mitchel. I could tell you some horror stories about some of the other custom shops out there. :ahhh: