PDA

View Full Version : New Charvels?

shredmeister666
06-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering what you guys thought of the new charvel models that are being released as compared to the great ones from the 80's.I went to guitar center today, and played one of the new san dimas standards with an original floyd,duncan JB, and ebony fretboard, and it ripped pretty well. I really liked the neck profile and the satin finish. However 1600$ seemed like a lot of money to pay for a single pick up shred guitar, especially when so many vintage ones can be had for a fraction of the price. I was wondering if you guys think its worth it, and if not, what is the best vintage charvel guitar that has a bolt on neck, and satin finish.
thanks for any input phil

DRM
06-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Not even close. My neighbor has some San Dimas model and it plays fantastic. The neck feels soft in a way.

Those EVH Charvel's= pure crap. It played like a slug covered in molasis and the pickup wasn't very "brown". And for $2300?!? Kiss my ass!!!

Honestly, find a used Charvel, something like a Model 2. I may be 15, but I know what a Charvel is and what it should be. The new ones are nothing special and for the money, a USA Jackson is a much better alternative.

shredmeister666
06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks for that info. I am also only 15:icon_bigg, but I guess I am not as experienced as you are in the art of the shred guitar master :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy. I was trying to find one of the american charvel guitars(preferably san dimas over the other place they were made(maybe ontario?) In your experience are the older american ones far superior to the imported model series?(they are imports right) once again thanks for any help---phil

Davey
06-17-2006, 02:27 PM
2 words

Guitar Center

another 2 words

STAY AWAY

the gutiars you play there are in most cases set up like pure crap. left to stand on the shelf for months at a time going through 50 climate changes without them even touching the guitar, not to mention 200 kids a day playing the guitar.

and you expect to form an opinion on a guitar that's badly set up and hasnt seen a fresh set of strings in over 6 months, not to mention you probably didnt even play it for longer than 20 minutes.

sorry, but i dont buy that crap.

if you buy from guitar center, you obviously have too much money in the first place and want to be ripped off.

Brent, can we please get some linkage to Matts music, Vwall guitars, online stage gear and Fullers Vintage?

not even close.. heh, dont make me laugh. a model 2, while not a bad guitar and a mean player, it doesnt even come close to the shadow of a SD charvel. also, if you come across a real 80's san dimas, and it sells for less than a couple of grand, let me know.

shredmeister666
06-17-2006, 03:37 PM
wow, apparently you guys have some pretty strong feelings about guitar center:icon_lol: I always go there to get my strings and stuff because its pretty convenient for me to stop in there and grab them.

So if the new charvels are bad, the model series not so great, and the authentic charvel san dimas cost a couple of thousand, am I better off just looking at another brand? or is a guitar like this good?( http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARVEL-SAN-DIMAS-USA-Black-Guitar-1985-w-Maple-Fretbrd_W0QQitemZ7421750423QQcategoryZ33044QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Is this one of the "real" san dimas's? sorry for asking so many questions:icon_redf phil

Davey
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
seller carrguitar.

that aint authentic. parts mutt.

think whatever you want to think about charvel. fact is that they are top notch guitar. and unlss you go to the right dealer (i named a couple in my initial post) they will be terribly overpriced.

educate yourself before you make assumptions.

and thats all i gotta say about this

shredmeister666
06-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I think you might have misunderstood me, I was most definetly not trying to say that charvels are bad guitars, or anything like that. A friend of mine has one, its an ash strat made in the 90's and he calls it a san dimas reissue or something. It has one of the nicest unfinished birdeye maple necks i have ever felt :drool2:

I looked at those sights, and fullers vintage guitars were the only one that actaully carried charvels, and they were the new models not the old one.

once again I am sorry if I accidently offended any of you charvel players out there--phil

Raider76
06-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Not even close. My neighbor has some San Dimas model and it plays fantastic. The neck feels soft in a way.

Those EVH Charvel's= pure crap. It played like a slug covered in molasis and the pickup wasn't very "brown". And for $2300?!? Kiss my ass!!!

Honestly, find a used Charvel, something like a Model 2. I may be 15, but I know what a Charvel is and what it should be. The new ones are nothing special and for the money, a USA Jackson is a much better alternative.

haha i thought i was the only 15 yr old:icon_cool

toneseeker
06-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Quit with the 15 year old stuff.
You young fellers are making me feel old! :icon_lol:

I'm only 31.

Kramaniac
06-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I like the old & some of the new ones are pretty cool as well & they sure do seem to hold their value & even increase in value compared to Kramers
the custom shop stuff is incredible

you really have to dig Mike Learn's work that guy is awesome.

Have you seen the shattered glass graphic??? pretty cool

My Jackson collection keeps growing while my Kramer collection gathers more dust :eusa_whis

toneseeker
06-27-2006, 06:17 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good as the old ones, given a good setup. They may have changed some minor things as far as specs go, but they should be very close. I'd go with whichever one is cheaper if they are comparable. No need to overpay for a guitar, regardless of what name is on the headstock!

Having said that, I keep hearing people say that the JBs from the 80s sound nothing like they do now. Why, I don't know, but that would make a difference to me. I put a JB in my Les Paul and couldn't stand it! Good for metal (especially Megadeth rhythm) but not much good for anything else.
I can only imagine what it would have sounded like in a Floyd equipped, bolt neck superstrat.

Shredaholic
07-01-2006, 08:18 AM

Yeah but you've gotta realise a 20 year old guitar is gonna have a very "broken in" neck that feels soft and plays nicely; that's probably the biggest reason why you liked the San Dimas model over the newer Charvels.

toneseeker
07-03-2006, 07:00 AM
So very true Shredaholic.
Some people feel like they must have that broken in feel, just look at all of those Les Paul guys who pay a premium for aged finishes, or send their guitars off to someone who "relics" them, and roll the edges of the fingerboard to make them feel broken in.

Sure I like the feel of a broken in guitar, but I also like the feel of a brand new guitar. Kind of like getting a new pair of shoes.

slash
07-04-2006, 04:35 PM
The charvels do not have a satin finish on the necks they have an oil finish...

The Furious One
07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Brent, can we please get some linkage to Matts music, Vwall guitars, online stage gear and Fullers Vintage?

Damn! How in the hell did I miss all of this? I'm not sure of the procedure on this, but "I Think" we have to get in touch those people before we go posting their links. I'll have to get w/ Adam on that.

FWIW though, The new Charvels are really nice slabs of wood. They are considered "production" guitars. But as most of you know already, Like a US Jackson, they are built to order or in some case small runs. It's basically a custom shop pumping these out.

Guitar Center is good for some things, but OTOH, it's mainly for a good laugh. You can only expect so much out of a chain that 90% of their employees are idiots.

BeN5150
07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
i personally would rather pick up an old Charvel than a new one, even though ive never played a Charvel at all.

BTW, i think i was the first "youngster" here, im 15 aswell (sorry 'bout making some of the bro's feel old) lol

toneseeker
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I'd go for an older one any day unless it was more than a new one, or it was beat to pieces. Old ones have already been "played in", and the sound has opened up from playing.

Having said that, i'll probably never buy a new guitar again. It's too much fun building exactly what you want and not having to give your money to guitar companies. There's enough people to do that already.

axebuilder
07-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Having said that, i'll probably never buy a new guitar again. It's too much fun building exactly what you want and not having to give your money to guitar companies. There's enough people to do that already.

Thats been my thinking too, I really want to buy some but when It can be built for less$ and I have fun too, bring on the wood! :icon_lol:

I really dig charvels but like most guitars these days outa my price range.

Zerberus
07-30-2006, 05:29 AM
......Honestly, find a used Charvel, something like a Model 2. I may be 15, but I know what a Charvel is and what it should be. The new ones are nothing special and for the money, a USA Jackson is a much better alternative.

I have to disagree 100%.

The New pointies play and sound exactly like the old ones. BTW, the profile of the pointies was the only consistent profile in the old days, and the new ones are spot on. Ask any Charvel Collector thatīs played a few and heīll say the same thing, same guitars just built 20 years later. I own an old Strathead, and the build quality is definitely the same if not better on the new ones...

Strathead profiles on the other hand were more or less all over the board, Iīve seen everything from huge boatnecks to wizard thin, though there were 4 or 5 profiles that seemed to be the most common. I donīt know what profile the new stratheads are using as I havenīt managed to play one yet, but from what Iīve heard itīs one of the "middle of the road" ones.

Also, other than the neck there is no difference today between a strathead and a pointy ("back then" stratheads had a 1/16" slimmer heel, this is no longer the case). Still, I fail to see how the new ones are "nothing special", as they are competively priced (esp. considering the prices of vintage charvels), high quality and most importantly readily available.:icon_cool

Also, a USA Jackson and a USA Charvel are made by the same people, on the same day, using the same machines and woods... I fail to see how just the name could make the guitars tha much worse... Why should a Shannon made Charvel strat be any better or worse than the exact same guitar with a Jackson Logo? :eusa_thin

A model series or toothpaste charvel, while comparable in build quality, is a completely different neck profile and body wood, not to mention the hardware and PUs. Some prefer the Import necks, I personally prefer an oiled USA neck in most cases.

BTW, for those recommending an old one (and some then ironically saying the new ones are too expensive), mine may be for sale for offers >2500€ (3000$US).... and thatīs dirt cheap for an old strathead...

DRM
08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I did not mean to say that Charvel's are bad guitars, they're fairly high quality instruments. But, when I compare the Charvel standard series to the Jackson USA line, the Jackson guitars have more "features" to better suit different players. Now, this is comparing to their standard models, not the custom shop. Then, anything is possible...

Neck Thru (personal preference. I'm lazy)
24 Frets (nobody NEEDS 24, but I actually have used it occasionally, so it's pretty nice to have)
Binding (only cosmetic, but I think it really rounds out the appearance of the guitars)
Pimp as hell inlays (only cosmetic, I know)
More body shapes (V, Kelly, Rhoads, Warrior. Charvel have...the star)

I haven't played one of the San Dimas Special Editions, or any of the Standard series guitars for that matter, but I have played two of the EVH models. They're meant to be collectibles, I know, but for that money, I just don't love Ed enough to splurge $2000 on a guitar. The neck felt like silk, but the whole package just wasn't there. The black/yellow one I played had horrible sustain, must've been an off day? I don't mean to say that Jackson's are better quality than the new Charvel's, if I did, I deeply take that back. I posted that so long ago, I don't know what I was saying. But for me, I find that Jackson's have more features and suit me better than the Charvel's. Of course, I'll never own a USA Jackson, so none of this really matters!

And you are unbelievably lucky to have a Stratheaded San Dimas. I bet it plays like butter. Please post some pics...I need this in my life.