PDA

View Full Version : Marty Friedman GRAIL

CaptainClaw
03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
This is an amazing guitar with an amazing history IMO... Any Megadeth fans out there? I am gonna watch this auction. Not only because of what he used this guitar for BUT also because it's for a good cause. He's donating proceeds for all his auctions to relief efforts in Japan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280646876543

Marty's description of this Guitar

This is the one…

I used only two guitars to record the album “Rust in Peace”, this one and one other guitar. This one arrived midway thru the sessions, after my rhythms were done and before my solos. That other guitar (a Jackson I bought in Hawaii) has already been donated to a different auction, but this one here was also my #1 MAIN live guitar during ALL of the touring I did with Megadeth.

I also used it for recording on RIP, CTE and Youthanasia, as well as for much of the solos on my solo albums, Scenes, Introduction, and True Obsessions, this was my go-to solo guitar for that entire period. This is the guitar I used when I recorded the Tornado of Souls solo, and all others I did on RIP for that matter. If you listen to that album, you can tell all my solo tones were the same. It`s this guitar. When I first started learning Japanese, I wrote “Marty`s Guitar” (real original, I know…) in Japanese in the exposed wood on the back of the body, which was exposed because the paint was likely scratched off by my bullet belt. The head is chipped, likely from an on-stage collision with another pointy Jackson headstock, but I kept playing with it that way for years after it. This guitar has at the very least, over 1000 Megadeth shows under its belt.

Click to view photos of this guitar over the years in FULL SIZE:

http://mayzan.com/MFguitars/1990_Jackson_Kelly_No.1_J5781.jpg

RockStringBender
03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Wowza!!!! Wonder what it will go for? That one has a shitload of karma/mojo behind it :thumbs:

Good to see ya Cappy, hope things are good!!!

BananaHead
03-21-2011, 03:30 AM
I

Want

That.

Fucking LOVE Marty, one of my all time favorites! And Kellys are my all time favorite Jackson ( Kahlers, not so much....but FUCK IT). OMG such a kickass guitar. That deserves to be in the hands of a true fan!

Ironbird666
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Dude, I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to even TOUCH that guitar much less own it. Plus, you get to donate to a great, great cause to boot. Someone is going to own a great piece of metal history. :drool2:

RockStringBender
03-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Dude, I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to even TOUCH that guitar much less own it. :drool2:

That is exactly what I was gonna say last night when I saw this, just a fn fantastic piece of gear, if you played that you would know exactly what a world class gigging axe was all about :notworthy

Ironbird666
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Could you imagine just hitting one good note, bending it, and just shaking the shit out of it until it slowly starts to feedback. MMMMMMMMMM YES SIR!! LOL

ibanezed4yrs
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
lol.. it probably sounds like shit playin thru our gear... lol...

wfojon
03-21-2011, 04:33 PM
lol.. it probably sounds like shit playin thru our gear... lol...

Unless Marty himself was playing it. :thumbs: Like all great players they sound good through any POS. :notworthy

toneseeker
03-21-2011, 04:41 PM
My guess is it sounds like a Jackson
with a JB in it.

Whatever a Jackson sounds like.:icon_wink

ibanezed4yrs
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Unless Marty himself was playing it. :thumbs: Like all great players they sound good through any POS. :notworthy

yup...

MapleShredder
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
If I remember correctly, Marty lives in Japan. That Carvin is pretty nice but his Jackson Kelly with the binding around the body. :drool2: A great cause too! :thumbs:

RockStringBender
03-21-2011, 06:05 PM

that means i would tear that mofo up:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_da nc

wfojon
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
:roflmfao:

that means i would tear that mofo up:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_da nc

RockStringBender
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
:roflmfao:

errrrr. did i just break that string.........:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon _lol:

Hey man, you remember when we were jammin and you said "that's what ya got the B String for" when I was noodling taps on the E? I don't know why I always insisted on basing my shit on that E and working back into the board, but I have moved my baseline up to the B and it's a hella lots more stable :thumbs:

BananaHead
03-22-2011, 04:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJodwVQK3B4&feature=related

Here is that red Carvin in action. Listen to the sickness that is Marty's playing. I used to WORSHIP this man. He was one of the main influences, along with Jason Becker, in my early playing. Loved that Carvin ever since I saw it on the cover of the Cacophony albums!

Here is what I believe is his main black Kelly (pre-headstock damage) in the Adam's posted auction. This is the guitar that I would kill for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1stTXLqBCs&feature=related
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

livewire
03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
cool stuff :thumbs:

toneseeker
03-30-2011, 05:24 AM
His main guitar went for $7,100.
Nope, sorry. I wouldn't have paid that much for it,
even if I had $10,000 in hand.

Decent prices for some of the other guitars, so far, but still pricey because they are Marty's.

firefight77
05-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Damn, I love his blues riffs, nice and clean and tasty

DownInFlames
03-17-2014, 04:42 PM
I used to have that on tape!