PDA

View Full Version : Question About Possible Guitars

Bl4cFoxx
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I went to some music shops today and was playing some guitars. I was never an Ibanez fan, but when I played one today, my mind was totally changed. I played, a RG370DX, which I know is a lower-end model, but I liked it regardless.

Anyways, I read that there are practically no differences between the RG370DX (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG370DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512368) and the RG5EX1 (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519786), besides minor visual differences, but I was wondering if that was true. I hoping some of you may know.

I also heard that the Edge III gives out really quickly and is absolute crap, just wondering if any of you had experience with that as well.

My mind is not set on either of these guitars, I'm still looking around, but I was just curious.

toneseeker
07-29-2010, 07:36 AM
If you don't whammy a lot, I wouldn't worry about the trem too much.
If you like it, buy it. You can always change out the pickups in it, and with a good setup, I'm sure it would be a nice guitar. Most guitar shops either don't have a guy that sets up every guitar that comes in (they don't make any money off of that), or if they do, he's a retard. :icon_lol:

If you change the pickups, I'd suggest changing the pots too, especially on a cheaper guitar. That will make a bigger difference than you might think. Really, I'd suggest doing that BEFORE swapping pickups, and hear the difference. You might even like the pickups. :icon_cool

Bl4cFoxx
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
The only reason I am getting a new axe is for a locking trem, (or that's my excuse to my parents for getting a new one) and I probably should say that I didn't like the bar on the trem, so I didn't have a problem with an the system itself, but I thought couldn't I just use another bar for it? The guy there was a drummer so he didn't really know. lol

More than likely I will switch the pups out of whatever guitar I get and I don't know too much about the internal stuff like wiring, pots, or anything like that. But I'll look into it because you guys know what you are talking about here.

I did read that this guitar was a good platform guitar to start modding and I wouldn't mind upgrading it eventually as I get money, because that would make it more of 'my own' than leaving it stock. So I'm not opposed to doing any of that either.

toneseeker
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure about the bar. I'm not really up on all that stuff. Ibby has too many variations on stuff! :icon_lol: I was trying to find out if you could swap out another Ibby trem for the Edge III, and it looks like you can with minimal effort. ONE PROBLEM: people think Ibanez locking trems are made of gold! :icon_eek: Way more expensive than an OFR, Ping or Floyd Special.

I'd say, if you like it, grab it! Whammy till the trem doesn't work anymore (you might even get a good one, that doesn't wear out), and deal with it then. Sounds like you can swap it out, but I wouldn't mess with it until something goes wrong. :thumbs:

Now, the electronics & pickups, I usually play something for about six months, to get used to it, and then see if I want to start messing with it.

ibanezed4yrs
07-29-2010, 07:23 PM
the 350 is a killer guitar.. the edge 3 is cheap, but that's why you paid little dollars for the guitar.. but.. the good news is that an edge-pro (one of the best trems out there.. beats any floyd) is a direct, drop in replacement.. and those are always on ebay.. also, since rg's are basswood, pups are pretty easy to get for it.. heck, the ibanez/dimarzios are also killer and also all over the bay very cheap...

Bl4cFoxx
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys!! Unless I get a killer deal on a used guitar or suddenly get a lot more money, I'll probably get one of these.

the 350 is a killer guitar..

Do you know if the RG5EX1 is all that different, besides the fretboard inlays and the headstock? Because if they're the same, then I dig the look of the RG5EX1 better, but that's just me.

For pups, I was thinking of going GFS, I really dig their tone on the YouTube vids I've seen.

ibanezed4yrs
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
both guitars are made in korea, both have the same hardware, etc.. the only real difference is the reverse headstock.. also.. the "7" in the 370 means its a HSH rear route.. if it was a 350, it would be a HSH front route.. usually, a "5" would mean MIJ (rg550, 570, etc.).. but in this case, rg5ex1, means the same as the "5" in 350.. HSH front route.. also, the "ex" would normally mean a korean made rg.. like "ex series" instead of RG series.. in this case, it might stand for exclusive.. like only available at sam ashe or somethin.. also.. the 1 also meant hardtail.. i have no clue why there's a 1 in there..

Bl4cFoxx
08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, that's awesome how you know that stuff, thanks a lot bro!

ibanezed4yrs
08-01-2010, 04:37 PM
lol.. i've been ibanezed for years man.. (hence the name.. ;) ).. but really.. it's all i play.. usually the higher end ones.. try a prestige, or any japan made ibanez.. it'll really, really blow you away.. buy the guitar, save up a couple hundred and buy an edge pro to put in it.. no routing or nothin.. derict drop in replacement.. one of the best trems ever made..

Bl4cFoxx
08-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I've heard so many good things about the Edge Pro, that if I do decide to go Ibanez, I would definitely drop an Edge Pro in the guitar as soon as the other craps out on me.