PDA

View Full Version : Charvel Production Series 5th Batch Colors

Q-Ball
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Charvel announced the 5th batch of colors for their USA Production Series San Dimas guitars. :thumbs:

One surprise announcement was the discontinuation of the Style 2 (Tele) shaped model, which will not make it to the 6th batch of colors. Apparently Dealers were having problems selling the Style 2 models and Fender decided to cut the model instead of implementing any changes to help sales. :no:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9/noaccordions/general%20web%20media/4fccb525.jpg

I think most guitarists (like me) will be hot for the Taxi Cab Yellow model. I'm very dissappointed that the chrome hardware and zebra humbuckers (used in batch 4) were put on the shelf for this batch :eusa_naug...and after getting used to the rich looking candy colors of previous batches :drool2:, seeing 3 solid colors hints that the bean counters are winning the battle at Charvel. :thumbsdow

toneseeker
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Bean counting at it's finest. Fendre probably didn't want the tele competing with theirs. As if. The only similarity was the body shape.:thumbsdow
I figure, let enough people whine about not getting the candy finishes, and they'll probably bring them back, but only as limited runs (with a subsequent upcharge)
I think they should have kept the chrome hardware. It helped set the brand apart. Most everybody else uses black hardware.

Q-Ball
06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
To me, killing the Style 2 is signaling the beginning of the end :doh:Instead of dropping 1/3 of the series, at LEAST make a TRY to connect with customers. How about a 1 humbucker Style 2 :eusa_thin...or...give it a Tele headstock :eusa_thin...or...direct mount the buckers (that was the Style 2's big positive - TONE - it had more wood and sounded thicker than the Strat shaped bodies) to give it more balls :eusa_thin...or...throw a Tele pickguard on it :eusa_thin...none of which would cost any big ca$h. ANYTHING FOR CHRIST SAKES, just don't turn the Production Series into another neutered, homogenized Fender product line.

You're right, the candy colors are probably too expensive to produce (I bet it's less than a $1 a unit over solid colors); and perhaps it WAS inevitable the bean boys would take over. But I've sent my 4 email to FMIC and Charvel letting them know :321:"you guys are missing the point"

MapleShredder
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm glad I bought my Pagan Gold San Dimas Tele when I did then. That is sad they are doing away with the Tele style. That is the reason I wanted an American series San Dimas guitar in the first place. If I want a strat shaped one, I would just buy a one humbucker model but that would not fall within the $999 - $1099 price point. Just like the one humbucker Tele San Dimas they offer the price is more like $1599-$2399 range.

toneseeker
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
The days of having an affordable, semi custom American made guitar is long gone. As a matter of fact, I think that the days of an affordable semi custom made guitar from anywhere is long gone. They're all pretty much cookie cutter guitars anymore, unless you want to spend the bucks.

Bottom line is, they are selling to the moron masses. The way to the biggest bucks for them is the path of least resistence. You could put a Hondo on a hot guitar player nowadays, and it will sell. In a way, it's always been that way.

I've said it before, just one of the reasons I got into building. The factories don't/won't build them I want them to.

lonewolfsx
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I played a first-batch black/black socal and loved it, though I'm not sure if I liked the dimarzio's it came with. the new red/black one is sweet, and I'm definitely not surprised that they dropped the telecaster shaped ones. I went to a dealer and they had already sold all of the style 1's, only had 2 socal left, and had 6 tele shaped ones brand new i noone had touched (they originally ordered six of each).
I'm sure that the san dimas strat shaped one is by far the best selling and most common.

I definitely never understood why the single-humbucker models were so much more in price, and some I've seen for $2400 or so didn't come with floyds. Then why the price? I know I know, custom shop. Still, make a single-pickup production model with a floyd!

I should also point out that fender has done this before! Does anyone remember the fender-made San Dimas reissues from about 2004? Pointy, black painted charvel headstocks, rosewood boards, came in H/S/S, H/S, and H (though the single coils were actually hot rails I believe). They were beautiful, and I'd LOVE to have the single humbucker version with a maple fretboard and the same neck profile/fingerboard compound radius as the current charvels. I mean, yeah the P-headstock is cool, but it isn't everything, and I like the charvel pointy.

wfojon
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
How many guys like us actually buy a brand new guitar anyway? :eusa_thin There are so many great used guitars out there is is just plain stupid to pay full price for a new axe.
Today's companies depend on volume sales so they target a different market.

MapleShredder
06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
How many guys like us actually buy a brand new guitar anyway? :eusa_thin There are so many great used guitars out there is is just plain stupid to pay full price for a new axe.
Today's companies depend on volume sales so they target a different market.

Agreed! :thumbs: Yeah, buying brand new is stupid. I got my San Dimas Tele used for $799 and got a free hardshell case included. Although you'd never know its used as its 100% mint. :eusa_danc

PacerMedic
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM
The 4 M's of music industry sales mentality:

Market it

Make it

Milk it

Move on...

Sad they never quite did a tele in a desirable color (to me, anyways). I would love a taxi cab yellow, or slime green SD-2! Fender has the guitar industry by the balls with Jackson/Charvel and just keeps pioneering new ways to fuck the company up!

Q-Ball
06-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm glad I bought my Pagan Gold San Dimas Tele when I did then. That is sad they are doing away with the Tele style. That is the reason I wanted an American series San Dimas guitar in the first place. If I want a strat shaped one, I would just buy a one humbucker model but that would not fall within the $999 - $1099 price point. Just like the one humbucker Tele San Dimas they offer the price is more like $1599-$2399 range.

I fell in love with the Pagan Gold Style 2 when I first saw it! :eusa_droo When I read the tests saying it had more meat & potatoes than the Strat shape (with the same pups) model, I was hooked. I just never found one at the right price...then before I could get one, the Polar White Strat w/chrome & zebras came out, :boner: and I just creamed in my boxers...GAS was in full auto mode and I HAD to have it now :up2someth

k.Dee
07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I dont know guys..i prefer the cheaper 80's japanese Charvies,i mean you can buy a model 2 with 300$ and chances are its gonna be smoking hot.

For gods sake PM was selling his 88 for under 700$ and the guitar looked FKG amazing..

toneseeker
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Exactly PM. I'm in the "why buy new?" category.

k.Dee
07-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Anyway cant blame a guy who wants to buy a guitar brand new..otherwise if this guy never buy it new how can we buy it later used!! :)
Its like the Chicken and the egg!!

MapleShredder
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont know guys..i prefer the cheaper 80's japanese Charvies,i mean you can buy a model 2 with 300$ and chances are its gonna be smoking hot.

For gods sake PM was selling his 88 for under 700$ and the guitar looked FKG amazing..

Exactly, and I did the paintjob to my liking too. :thumbs:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/tourpicx/My%20Guitars/DSC01043.jpg

wfojon
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM

:thumbs: You are right, that 88 is a wonderful guitar. :notworthy

k.Dee
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Exactly, and I did the paintjob to my liking too. :thumbs:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/tourpicx/My%20Guitars/DSC01043.jpgJeff thats amazing man.

PS That crazy world solo was so cool,does anybody remember thaty song?