PDA

View Full Version : RSB NGD- You Rock Joelski

RockStringBender
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Tell me your day would not get better if you found this at your house when you got home :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2672.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2674.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2675.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2676.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/RockStringBender/DSCN2678.jpg

Yeah Baby!!!!!! :icon_cool Have not had a paul in my stable since 1979. This one is uber killer excellent. Thanks Joel! I'm thinking I'll just send ya those tuners :eusa_clap

PacerMedic
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
How LOUD is that fucker? I miss it already! It's teh purty for sure. Enjoy brother!!!

wfojon
01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Sweet :drool2: everybody needs a LP.:thumbs:

RockStringBender
01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Dude, you have the action on this thing sooo low that a piece of paper will not fit under the strings! It's dead-on .010 of an inch from the 1st fret to the last. What a toney MFr. Fits like a glove and sustains for decades :)

Really diggin this one Bro :thumbs:

DRM
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice score, Bob. :thumbs:

V King
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Sweet , no reason it shouldnt Mahogany and FLame Maple top = Sustain :thumbs: They got a lefty here localy in Cherry Burst for like $450 I think :eusa_thin Seem like a good price :icon_lol:I thought about it, but i need to downsize more and relacing them w/ 7 strings :eusa_danc

Act of God
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I took the stock Epi pups out of mine and went '59/Jazz and the guitar screams. Awesome bang for the buck vs. regular Les Pauls

toneseeker
01-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Now, if you want to hear another improvement, rip the guts out of that thing, and buy some good (CTS, not Gipsun) pots and caps, and wire it up 50s style. :icon_cool

That will make a noticeable difference even if you don't want to swap the pickups.

TommySixGun
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Dude, you have the action on this thing sooo low that a piece of paper will not fit under the strings! It's dead-on .010 of an inch from the 1st fret to the last. What a toney MFr. Fits like a glove and sustains for decades :)

Really diggin this one Bro :thumbs:

I found the same thing on the Stagey I got from Joel....the action ROCKS....so low from top to bottom, but no buzzes...I think we should call him ActionMedic

:thumbs:

A.F.U.
01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
That's a purty Paul fer sure,beautiful!:thumbs:I think i'm gonna just send Joel all my new fiddles for setup,the Jackson i got from him was also dead nuts on with the setup.

toneseeker
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
My fretwork isn't good enough
to do that just yet.

Gotta keep working on it.

wfojon
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Now, if you want to hear another improvement, rip the guts out of that thing, and buy some good (CTS, not Gipsun) pots and caps, and wire it up 50s style. :icon_cool

That will make a noticeable difference even if you don't want to swap the pickups.

What did they do differently back then? Maybe I gotta rewire mine..:icon_eek:
I picked up a pair of real Gibson pickups out of a 79 LP and dropped them in mine.:thumbs: They was cheap off the bay and it sure made the sound. :icon_bigg

PacerMedic
01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
It's unanimous. I am the GOD of teh stup skillz!!! :headbang

:D

toneseeker
01-14-2009, 06:47 AM
What did they do differently back then? Maybe I gotta rewire mine..:icon_eek:
I picked up a pair of real Gibson pickups out of a 79 LP and dropped them in mine.:thumbs: They was cheap off the bay and it sure made the sound. :icon_bigg

Did those pickups have a "T" on the bobbin?

Boogie Man, if you're one of "those turn everything to 10/I don't need no stinking tone control guys," it won't work for you. The tone controls are where they hide 90% of the tone.

It's really simple. All they really do, is switch which lugs the capacitors solder to. It affects the sound and, oddly enough, it seems to affect the taper. Hard to explain, easy to hear. They switched the way they wired them back in the early 70s. I happen to like it a bit better, but the "modern" way still sounds good. I only know this because I tried both. Kind of like changing the tailpiece to a lightweight tailpiece.
Here's the diagram:
http://shredguitars.com/imagehosting/86496dead1ced1d.jpg

wfojon
01-14-2009, 05:57 PM
:thumbs: I'll give that a try, I know it can make a difference cause I've done it by accident before. :eusa_whis :icon_bigg

toneseeker
01-15-2009, 06:34 AM
I forgot to add that I don't know how much mileage you will get from it, because of the gain you like to use. :icon_wink It may still work, but with a classic rawk sound, it makes a big difference. Using CTS pots (that measure over 500 K) makes a difference, too. One of the places I've gotten them from is Wymore guitars. They measure them, and write the reading on the back of the pot.
What kind of caps do you use?

wfojon
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I forgot to add that I don't know how much mileage you will get from it, because of the gain you like to use. :icon_wink It may still work, but with a classic rawk sound, it makes a big difference. Using CTS pots (that measure over 500 K) makes a difference, too. One of the places I've gotten them from is Wymore guitars. They measure them, and write the reading on the back of the pot.
What kind of caps do you use?

I use 500 or 1 meg pots, the brand isn't terrible important and I use just ol regular caps and resistors but I do have my special values I use. :thumbs: I like to turn the vol down and not effect the tone.

toneseeker
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I get the CTS brand, because that's what was recommended to me when I first started messing with stuff. It was better than the cheap crap I had been used to, so I'll keep on getting them.
If you don't mess with the tone controls (I forgot, i'm the only one here that does that), then it doesn't matter about the caps. :icon_bigg

PacerMedic
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Just wire the damn pickup to the output jack and rock the fuck out, ya puthies!

:D

:runs: