PDA

View Full Version : 1st Impulse Buy of 2009

Act of God
01-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Snagged a sweet deal on a 80's Carvin DC200, ships tomorrow!

I'll get real pics after she arrives, but this one is perfectly old school complete with the REAL pointy headstock and logo. It would only be more perfect if it had a reverse headstock. Not overly crazy about the color, but we'll see.

wfojon
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Now that is how to start the year right. :thumbs:

V King
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
WTF !!! Why is that thing strung Backwards :icon_lol: Either some Mook was playing Jimi on it or he was a reverse player, the very few lefties who can play a right handed Guitar upside down with out having to change the strings :notworthyTheir used to it and buy Lefties for comfort and string em up Righty :thumbs:
Players who do this
Dick Dale
Albert King
Seal
Otis Rush
Bob Geldof to name a few :thumbs:

PacerMedic
01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice old axe bro!

Act of God
01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
WTF !!! Why is that thing strung Backwards :icon_lol: Either some Mook was playing Jimi on it or he was a reverse player, the very few lefties who can play a right handed Guitar upside down with out having to change the strings :notworthyTheir used to it and buy Lefties for comfort and string em up Righty :thumbs:
Players who do this
Dick Dale
Albert King
Seal
Otis Rush
Bob Geldof to name a few :thumbs:

How did I not even notice that? Fuck, that thing is gonna need a major setup.

Act of God
01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Guitar came today. These are my findings/pics:

1. Guitar was strung righty and had an extra strap button on the lower horn. I hate right-handed assholes...

2. The guitar looks like it has seen 8,000,001 gigs. From the pictures you can see the following major flaws:

- Paint messed up all over with chips, dings, etc.
- Second input jack looks like it was crushed (still works)
- Missing string tree and FR arm
- Neck pickup doesn't seem to be working (although controls are confusing)

The bridge pickup sounds good, but something is out of phase (which I am sure has to do with my lack of understanding of the controls). I'm taking it to my shop for a cleaning/setup and see if they can make sense of the controls/pickup wiring to make sure it is all in order.

Neck is nice, FR looks to be in decent shape. I like the smaller body compared to the full-size RG's I am used to. Here are some pictures I snapped

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/48/l_bb34088f2b80456ebc0e645348e78e34.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/4/l_9556e65db34f46bb8e019aac86fb2bf7.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/19/l_8eb4db8e5beb4f479ad0c08aa952da4d.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/35/l_20b17c49900448cb8d9884a238430d2b.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/8/l_fa5b4c951975402fa7a707c694164fd4.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/24/l_ac41eec17d524c528c902c5f4ab8c701.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/9/l_44251890e66e4275ad31ad5aacc455ce.jpg

Might be a project.

wfojon
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Man, two hours and you could have it looking like new, just use a couple pounds of elbow grease and it should be a sweet axe.:thumbs:

Act of God
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to find out what the wood underneath is. I know the neck is hard maple. I found the trem arm, but its right-handed (boooooo). I also figured out the 2 input jack mystery and both pickups work fine.

The guy had 3 freakin springs on the trem, unnecessary.

wfojon
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I like using 3, that way you don't have to stretch them as tight as when you use two. I only tighten the spring claw screw enough to float my Floyd so it seems easier to me with three.

Act of God
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I like using 3, that way you don't have to stretch them as tight as when you use two. I only tighten the spring claw screw enough to float my Floyd so it seems easier to me with three.

Interesting technique....hmm

I have a feeling I need to re-setup everything because the guy had it setup as a righty. As soon as I switched the strings over the trem went into full-on "I pulled up on the whammy bar as hard as possible" mode.

Plus, the action is high. The frets have significant wear but I didn't notice any dead spots.

RockStringBender
01-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Oh holy shit, that's the one I keep lookin at:thumbs:

Did you get the M22s or the Alan Pups?

Act of God
01-10-2009, 07:32 AM
I believe they are M22's, that's what the seller said and I've been comparing pictures. They don't sound too bad, but I haven't had the guitar properly setup. Come to think of it, I can probably do it myself.

RockStringBender
01-10-2009, 07:59 AM
That's literally the hottest hummer in production (non custom). I have one in my striped 1000 and wide open it is paint blistering, back it off to around 7 and it gets warm without losing cut-through capacity. that's a sweet axe and you might as well consider it a custom. Carvin has a weirdly different neck profile but they rock and they are built for the pro musician. I think you clean that puppy up and you'll find you got a hellava sweet snag :thumbs:

Act of God
01-10-2009, 08:03 AM
turns out the wings are poplar, I don't think it is a candidate for a natural finish :(

I'm reading up on cleaning an ebony fretboard, looks like 000000000000 steel wool and a damp rag is the best bet. Gonna get some new strings and see what I can do today. Wish me luck!

wfojon
01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
turns out the wings are poplar, I don't think it is a candidate for a natural finish :(

I'm reading up on cleaning an ebony fretboard, looks like 000000000000 steel wool and a damp rag is the best bet. Gonna get some new strings and see what I can do today. Wish me luck!

That will do just fine, just remember to clean/scrub up and down the neck not side to side. Go with the grain and you will never notice any scratches.:thumbs:

Act of God
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
What would you recommend to clean the gold Floyd Rose parts with? We're supposed to get a shitload of snow today so this could be a great day project.

RockStringBender
01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I've never had a gold one but I use WD40 on the chrome and black ones and then a toothbrush, high water pressure rinse and then put it in a towel and beat it on my hand for about 5 minutes to knock all the water out of it.

Then shine to taste.

Don't forget to hand turn the string lock bolts down on the string blocks or they'll fall out while yer messin with it.

Act of God
01-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I cleaned her up as good as she is going to get and attempted to set it up. The tuning is stable but the action is way to high for my tastes. I'm trying to lower it via the Floyd posts but they are REALLY hard to turn. I got maybe 1/2 a turn out of each and the action still blows donkey cock.

The fretwear on this thing is pretty hardcore, by the way. You can see and feel the dents from the strings on the lower frets.

wfojon
01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Have you checked the relief in the neck? That is the amount of bow in the neck, you can look down the edge to see if there is a bend in the neck.
If you have a capo put it on the first fret and then fret the 17th fret and look at the gap between the string and the 12th fret. If the gap is big you have to tighten the truss rod and that will in effect lower the action.
Use the low and hi E for your measurements.

PacerMedic
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Tape off the pups and mask off the frets. Get some 000 steel wool and commence ta elbow greasin'. A lot of the indentations will polish out. Follow that with some Nev-R-Dull on the frets ( the stuff works great on all hardware). Sounds like you need to look at neck shimming and/or truss rod adjustment to get that action where it needs to be.

RockStringBender
01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Man, everything about that axe tells me that it is going to be dripping with mojo when you get it setup to taste. Those frets didn't get like that because it didn't get played, and a lot!

On the TR, did it come from the same climate that you are in? That can change them big time. Also, check that neck releif with a long straight edge if you have one and remember that a killer neck can sometimes get a lotta mo bow with the strings in tension and getting it to relax and end up where you want it can require the 24 hour wait for everything to settle in on the adjustment. I've had one that took 3 trys over 5 days to settle down it was so flexible.

Act of God
01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
The guitar came from California and is now in NY (bitch ass cold NY). I'm trying to be patient with it, as I've never messed with a truss rod successfully before.

I agree that this thing must play amazing if it got so much use.

Act of God
01-25-2009, 11:06 AM
UPDATE

Just got the guitar back from the shop. It didn't need any fretwork done, thankfully. I gotta tell you, this guitar sounds AWESOME. I'm not quite used to the feel of it, though. I'm having a hard time bending the strings, and its set up with my standard 9-42 wires on standard tuning.

Neck through is a nice feeling, the sustain goes for days.

V King
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
YOu got any new Pics, thats a nice Guitar :thumbs:

Act of God
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
YOu got any new Pics, thats a nice Guitar :thumbs:

get on yahoo, I took a bunch today and they are nice