PDA

View Full Version : has anything "really" changed for Jackson under Fender ownership?

Doctor Shred
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
The location of manufacture did change. So I guess the employees changed? Do you think the quality of the guitars has changed? The building techniques? Will "pre-Fender" era Jacksons be "special?"

Do you thnk there are major differences between pre- and post-Fender Jacksons?

wilkinsi
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
There's a lot of discussion on this at www.jcfonline.com.

umevhfan
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
one thing that i heard from a firend thats a dealer, is that they have kinda screwed up pricing and have no idea about timelines of orders and availability, he said he waited over 6 months for a pc1 when before it was like in a few weeks when he ordered...his feeling is that fender is treating jackson like a " bastard company " which sux....prefer any jackson over a fender all day..

umevhfan
03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
typo...i am educated.lol F R I E N D

DRM
03-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice one, Randal. :icon_lol:

I've only played a handful of pre-Fender Jackson's, and I actually think they're doing a fine job with the brand. Think about it:

Their imports are 10,000 times better than they used to be. (better hardware, better pickups, and the QC has greatly improved in their pro line)

As for the USA models, I haven't noticed a huge difference except that prices have seriously gone up. That really sucks, but Jackson still make damn fine guitars, irregardless of the price. The QC on the USA series hasn't really changed...pre-FMIC Jax had their share of problems, too. Now, I think that Fender's ownership has improved them by bumping up the quality on their imports (the guitars that 80% or so of Jax owners actually purchase) and keeping the USA series on the right track by not fucking up the Jackson formula of top notch hardware with great craftmanship.

Call me a heretic, but I think that FMIC's ownership of Jackson is a good thing. :thumbs:

(now, if only Gibson would sell Kramer to them...)

louieatienza
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi, just got turned on to this forum, hopw all's well with everyone...

A few of the original Charvel guys are still there, including Mike Shannon, and Mike Eldred. Grover has had his hand in a few projects and limited runs.

I'm sure they benefit now from Fender's CNC machinery, and such (they used pin routers to shape their body and neck blanks) but I've played a few of the new ones and the "vibe" is still there. Although, I did notice that the necks were a tiny bit "slimmer" than the oroginals.

Still way overpriced new, but great deals on teh second hand stuff. And, you can get a REAL pointy for cheaper than a new one!

Doctor Shred
04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
...you can get a REAL pointy for cheaper than a new one!

Yeah I got a pre-Fender SL1 (in almost new condition) for about 150% less than a Fender-era Solist, and it has the "real Jackson" vibe.

MapleShredder
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
To answer the original question. Yes, the DK2M. :drool2::thumbs:

Doctor Shred
04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
To answer the original question. Yes, the DK2M. :drool2::thumbs:

how?

DRM
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
how?

Their Pro Series guitars were balls before Fender bought them.

BeN5150
04-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Their Pro Series guitars were balls before Fender bought them.

not to be confused with the early 90's "Professional" series.

MA-LAWD!:drool2:

CaptainClaw
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Correct. Do not confuse Pro with Professional series. I own a King V Pro and it is every bit the guitar a USA KV1 is. Hands down. Same material, same config, same everything, and the worksmanship is FLAWLESS. There's a definite distinction between the pro and professional series models many people get confizzled over :icon_lol:

For anyone interested, here's a great article on the differences:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-pro-professional.htm

louieatienza
04-24-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the lamest thing on the new Charvels is the moronic disclaimer sticker on the back of the headstock, saying that the headstock shape is used with permission from Fender. So Fender has to give ITSELF permission? Why bother?

wilkinsi
05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Other than the prices going up, the other thing I've noticed is that some new finishes like Absinth Frost (light green), Agent Orange (metallic orange), Darby Green (mucky green, yeuch) and Acapulco Gold (uh, BLING anyone?) are now available. TBH, I'd rather see some of the deleted graphic and trans colours on USA's come back. I've always wanted a WR1 in tobacco Sunburst, Violet Burst or even a new graphic that I've seen on some custom shop Jacksons.

budgolf
06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
The powers that be should have sold that company to Dave Mustaine. Love him or hate him, he's got a mind for business and loved his Jacksons.

DRM
06-01-2008, 09:37 AM
The powers that be should have sold that company to Dave Mustaine. Love him or hate him, he's got a mind for business and loved his Jacksons.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Doctor Shred
10-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Correct. Do not confuse Pro with Professional series. I own a King V Pro and it is every bit the guitar a USA KV1 is. Hands down. Same material, same config, same everything, and the worksmanship is FLAWLESS. There's a definite distinction between the pro and professional series models many people get confizzled over :icon_lol:

For anyone interested, here's a great article on the differences:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-pro-professional.htm

thanks for that link

wilkinsi
10-11-2008, 07:07 AM

But he went to Dean. I don't want a gay'd-up Jackson! :lol: :lol: