PDA

View Full Version : Acoustics?

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 04:55 PM
What are some good acoustics out there that are reasonably priced? I haven't owned one in a long time and the ol lady is bitch'n that I haven't bought one since my Ovation got stolen.

BeN5150
11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Blueridge makes a MEAN acoustic, very nice sound

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Blueridge makes a MEAN acoustic, very nice sound

I was actually just looking at them on their website. They a few nice leftys. Probably something I'll look into.

BeN5150
11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
when the man upstairs plays acoustic, its on a Blueridge, I cant say enough good stuff about them

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I like this one the best, but that pickguard would have to go.
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/images/BR-160LH.jpg

I still want an Ovation Elite 12 string though. You can just do some real cool shit on a 12 and IMO, Ovation makes the best sounding 12's.

mike2731
11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I like this one the best, but that pickguard would have to go.
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/images/BR-160LH.jpg

I still want an Ovation Elite 12 string though. You can just do some real cool shit on a 12 and IMO, Ovation makes the best sounding 12's.

but the pickguard would match your underwear Brent!! :roflmfao::roflmfao::points:

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Not today bro, got the zebra print on. Leopard is tomorrow. Got'm labeled Monday thru Friday, though I usually end up wearing the same day for a few.:icon_eek:

Webbhead13
11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
but the pickguard would match your underwear Brent!! :roflmfao::roflmfao::points:

I dont even want to know how you know what Brents Undies look like!!:no::no::no:

RockStringBender
11-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I dont even want to know how you know what Brents Undies look like!!:no::no::no:

It's a LV doorknob thing.

I settled on a Line6 700. NOT affordable but able to keep up in a hard rock environment. No feedback, sweet tones ....

I had a very nice and expensive ovation and have played many. Just don't like the thinness of tone.

I would set aside a couple of days, better half has the kids, and you pick a big city near you and hit every axe shop and used store that you can google and load into the navigation device that you rent at avis.

I went on such a quest about 20 months ago in millwuakee, ShyTown and outskerts and played no less than 80-90 guitars. 2 are still in my mind out of all of them. You need to FIND a good acoustic or electric or buy new technology. I fought with stage feedback and "where's Bob's guitar" in the mix for 30 years. I'll take the 700.

BTW- those 2 axes where an '81 (1st year they custom shop issued re-issues) fender strat based on the 59 and a 7 bill taki 12 string. The 12 string was in The Chicago Music Exchange and I jammed her for 30 minutes in that big sofa infested back acoustic room. I would have no doubt that you could hear every string on that guitar 3 blocks in every direction.

I have played every taki 12 that I have seen for 20 months and every one sucked wind badly. I shoulda snagged that bitch :doh:

Raider76
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
my lil washburn acoustic is great...i love it!:thumbs: http://shredguitars.com/imagehosting/130474a39b6a6e0c.jpg

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I've never really like the Washburn acoustics. I've played a ton since that's about all I can find in lefty at most stores. I totally dig the ML though. I will have one, one of these days!

Raider76
11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah its not the greatest but it gets the job done...yeah I LOVE my ML:drool2: ...thats my baby

...fenders arent bad, i have a freind with A jumbo Gibson and a guild dreadnaught that are both awsome but $$$...anyways goodluck:thumbs:

V King
11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
What are some good acoustics out there that are reasonably priced? I haven't owned one in a long time and the ol lady is bitch'n that I haven't bought one since my Ovation got stolen.

What happen to the one I gave you :eusa_thin what you do trash it :eusa_thin

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
What happen to the one I gave you :eusa_thin what you do trash it :eusa_thin

No, I still have it. The fucker won't stay in tune though so it's sit's in the closet.

V King
11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
:eusa_thin Stayed in tune for me, try changing the strings :icon_lol:

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
:eusa_thin Stayed in tune for me, try changing the strings :icon_lol:

Tried that. I think that crack in the neck behind the nut has broken loose again and is flexing. I need to get a syringe and some glue and reclamp it.

The Furious One
11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
FWIW though, when it is in tune, sounds pretty damn good for a cheap samick beater acoustic.

Axeme
11-26-2007, 04:34 AM
I have a Tacoma Roadking and it's by far the best sounding acoustic I have played......I would suggest them hands down. Also, Seagul sounds very nice and are reasonable in price.

Dale

toneseeker
11-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Dale beat me to it.
Brent, you owe it to yourself
to check out the Seagulls and Tacomas.

The Seagulls are more reasonably priced,
and you shouldn't have as much trouble
finding a lefty. If I was going to go
get an acoustic right now, i'd look
for a Seagull or Breedlove.
Breedloves are more mid priced,
I don't know how much you want to spend.

The Furious One
11-26-2007, 06:18 AM
That's the real trick to finding a good acoustic isn't it? No matter how much better electrics progress at the lower price points, it always stays the same for acoustics. Good acoustics aren't cheap and cheap acoustics aren't good.

I'll check into the Breedloves and Tacoma's. There's a dealer about 30 minutes away from here and he usually keeps a few lefty's in stock.

The Furious One
11-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Well Tacoma's and Seagulls are out. I can't justify spending that kind of coin a guitar I won't play that often. Still trying to figure what breedlove makes in lefty.

toneseeker
11-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure if they make any leftys.

I just played one at GC in Raleigh,
and fell in love with the way it played
and sounded. They had the action LOW
for an acoustic. It looked a bit different,
but not in a bad way. :thumbs:

axebuilder
11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Have you looked at any Ibanez's? I have had a Ibanez AE10 or 15 for about 12yrs now. (doesn't get played to often cuz I really dont like acoustics). She is still as great as the day I bought her EXCEPT the darn Pick up is dead.
But she is a real sweet player.

toneseeker
11-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't like pickups
in an acoustic, for the most part. :icon_wink

axebuilder
11-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, this one is a bit odd. It had only 1 wire that went between 2 contacts. The sound of this AE on my stack was :drool2::drool2: such clarity!
But i barely plugged into a amp, cuz its a acoustic, just pick up and play

ibanezed4yrs
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
ovation makes the best acoustic when you dip below the 500 dollar mark.. have you tried seaguls yet?... (personaly, 12 string-ovation.... 6 string-martin or taylor)

toneseeker
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Y'all can keep those ovations.
Maybe i've been hanging with the old farts too long,
but I can't deal with those things. :eusa_danc

Brent, it's an acoustic.
Get one of your righty friends
to pick you out a good deal,
then take it to a tech for
a new nut and saddle.
Presto! Lefty acoustic. :thumbs:

The Furious One
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Y'all can keep those ovations.
Maybe i've been hanging with the old farts too long,
but I can't deal with those things. :eusa_danc

Brent, it's an acoustic.
Get one of your righty friends
to pick you out a good deal,
then take it to a tech for
a new nut and saddle.
Presto! Lefty acoustic. :thumbs:

I've seen it done several times and I cringe every time. It's really not good on the top. They are braced heavier on the bass side to compensate for the tension of the strings on the top. I've seen a couple lefty conversion actually split the top after they've been converted.

toneseeker
11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh.
Learn something new everyday.
That sucks.