PDA

View Full Version : Pick ups

Jtorres
09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
So I'm still working on my kramer focus 2000. Any idea of what kind of pick ups I should drop in it? I'm really indecisive here.

wfojon
09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought you got a complete one? You want to change them or do you just not have any? Duncans' are what the Americans had.:eusa_thin

Jtorres
09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I did get a complete one, but I want to change it up a bit. I sanded the paint off it too. I didn't really like the off white color. I thought that while I was at it I should change out the pick ups. I thought about dimarzios but I'm still not sure. Someone else recommended some bill lawrence pick ups, but I've never played those or heard them.

toneseeker
09-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Nuno Bettencourt used to use a Bill Lawrence
in the bridge of his guitars.

Distracter
10-20-2007, 03:33 AM
So did mr. Dimebag Darrell ;)

TommySixGun
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I put a Dimarzio Mo' Joe in my Baretta. It screams...its only good for raunch though.

Tommy

axebuilder
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
I thought about dimarzios but I'm still not sure..

Sounds like a great choice to me :icon_bigg:eusa_whis

I will say the S.D. DD is a pretty cool pup too, I had one in a old PC2 before it got parted

RockStringBender
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Duncan distortion in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

wfojon
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Duncan distortion in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

Did you read that in my thread about the Imperial? You are always a step behind bro.:icon_wink

RockStringBender
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Did you read that in my thread about the Imperial? You are always a step behind bro.:icon_wink

Man, probably did. The DD was a pup that I tried last year after hearing good things here about it and i like 'em :thumbs:

The 59 ref is most def from somewhere else cuz I've never had or played one. SD pairs the 59 up with just about everything they wind so I'm bettin it would balance real nice.

I can't tell what lap I'm on..... am I behind again??????? :icon_lol:

wfojon
11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Man, probably did. The DD was a pup that I tried last year after hearing good things here about it and i like 'em :thumbs:

The 59 ref is most def from somewhere else cuz I've never had or played one. SD pairs the 59 up with just about everything they wind so I'm bettin it would balance real nice.

I can't tell what lap I'm on..... am I behind again??????? :icon_lol:
You are in your own race bro but it is definitely OK cause we know you here.:notworthy

I love either the 59 or the PG in the neck with the DD, it just rules.
You gotta drop in and play my Wreck sometime if you like gain and tone, I find amazing stuff in it.

RockStringBender
11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Believe me, I'm seriously gassing for some tubage (does that sound gay :) ?

I've got a marshall valvestate combo that gets most of my practice-sittin around playing time and every time I see a boutique me drools.

I do seriously think I don't need to build my own. I can get through all kinds of control wiring and high voltage stuff from being a tradesman years ago but I understand nothing about biasing and what an electronic capacitor looks like. I did get knocked on my ass from a 50K volt AC cap when I was a kid and i found out very late in the game that you can get juiced on 440 coming through the neutral.

Wonder if that 'splains some things about me................... :) :)

Let's get that warehouse rented for an LV Shred PArty next year!!!!!

wfojon
11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - The back room at the Mustang Ranch.:thumbs: Maybe we could play for "handouts".:icon_wink

mike2731
11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Believe me, I'm seriously gassing for some tubage (does that sound gay :) ?

I've got a marshall valvestate combo that gets most of my practice-sittin around playing time and every time I see a boutique me drools.

I do seriously think I don't need to build my own. I can get through all kinds of control wiring and high voltage stuff from being a tradesman years ago but I understand nothing about biasing and what an electronic capacitor looks like. I did get knocked on my ass from a 50K volt AC cap when I was a kid and i found out very late in the game that you can get juiced on 440 coming through the neutral.

Wonder if that 'splains some things about me................... :) :)

Let's get that warehouse rented for an LV Shred PArty next year!!!!!

Join the dark side RSB. Once you go tube, you'll never need lube....OK, I have no future as a white Central PA freestyle rapper, but really, tube amps kick ass bro!!!! :thumbs: :icon_lol:

BeN5150
11-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Join the dark side RSB. Once you go tube, you'll never need lube....OK, I have no future as a white Central PA freestyle rapper, but really, tube amps kick ass bro!!!! :thumbs: :icon_lol:

Bob, atleast tell Mike that you got a tube amp, or he'll NEVER get off your case!:icon_lol:

RockStringBender
11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I wish I could say that I have. back in 79-80 I even had a Sunn Concert Lead, the one with the 6-10 cab. SS was affordable when i was 20 yo. Couldn't afford a tuber and after I moved from the van into a real apt. I didn't need one anymore. I have tubes in my SGX head, but not the same beast as you know. The POD says that it emulates tubes but there is something missing on the drain down and blood dripping when you run from a high rif down to the sonic underground and even at the metal amp grind saturation settings that "after taste" and freaky frequencies are not present.

I need to at least start test driving some of the stuff at GC.

mike2731
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Bob, atleast tell Mike that you got a tube amp, or he'll NEVER get off your case!:icon_lol:

Ah, but if he doesn't USE it, he's just as bad as the rest of you tone deaf MF'ers.....:icon_lol::icon_wink

RockStringBender
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Ah, but if he doesn't USE it, he's just as bad as the rest of you tone deaf MF'ers.....:icon_lol::icon_wink

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

mike2731
11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I wish I could say that I have. back in 79-80 I even had a Sunn Concert Lead, the one with the 6-10 cab. SS was affordable when i was 20 yo. Couldn't afford a tuber and after I moved from the van into a real apt. I didn't need one anymore. I have tubes in my SGX head, but not the same beast as you know. The POD says that it emulates tubes but there is something missing on the drain down and blood dripping when you run from a high rif down to the sonic underground and even at the metal amp grind saturation settings that "after taste" and freaky frequencies are not present.

I need to at least start test driving some of the stuff at GC.

Try some Marshalls, Boogies, and Peaveys. You should find the sound you like out of one of the three. Marshall TSL, Boogie Dual Rectifier, or Peavey JSX or 6105 would be my recommended places to start to see which fits your ear the best. They are all great, but different tones. :thumbs:

BeN5150
11-29-2007, 06:00 AM

:icon_lol:I was running my POD through my Dad's deluxe and it sounded pretty good, then I tossed a Wah pedal (Dunlop Crybaby) in front of it, and it sounded AWESOME, I didnt even use it as a Wah pedal, I just ran the cables through it to my guitar and I was in tone heaven:thumbs:

mike2731
11-29-2007, 06:58 AM
:icon_lol:I was running my POD through my Dad's deluxe and it sounded pretty good, then I tossed a Wah pedal (Dunlop Crybaby) in front of it, and it sounded AWESOME, I didnt even use it as a Wah pedal, I just ran the cables through it to my guitar and I was in tone heaven:thumbs:

Emulators emulate the sound of something else, and by their very definition, can not be better than what it is they emulate. Think about it....:eusa_thin

I own a POD, a Line 6 Spidervalve, and a Peavey JSX right now. Believe me, the Emulators don't sound as good as the tube amp. Yes, you can get sounds you like from them, but they aren't BETTER sounds than you could get with a tube amp by a long shot.