PDA

View Full Version : Which Jackson???

prstringer
09-12-2007, 06:35 AM
First off, let me start by saying that I'm brand new here... so Hello to all! I found this forum quite by accident and it's great there there is something like this out here for everyone.

I'm an Shredder from back in the 80's like I would guess a few are here already, but like many... over the years I have expanded into other genre's and techniques (nope, not country).

My main axe for the past several years has been my PRSce22 (1996 model) but I am longing for something to shred with. I can certainly wail away on the PRS... but I miss the Floyd, and I'm not about to carve it up just for that.

Back in 1989 I bought a Charvel/Jackson Fusion model, I can't remember a whole lot about it other than I paid about $700.00 for it (in 1989 dollars) and that it smoked. It was a beautiful blue shade with a H/S/S combo (possibly emg's... I don't remember) and it was a great guitar. Unfortunately, like many... I got in a bind and sold it... I have regretted that for years.

Anyway, now for the question. What Jackson would possibly compare to that right now? I have played the DKMG and a few DK2's... and that's about my price limit right now (under $800.00). If any of you could pick between those two... which would you pick and why? Would they compare to that Fusion... or am I going to have to spend more money (ala' Soloist?).

I can tell you that I liked the DK2, the pups weren't as hot as the EMG's in the DKMG... however, that's not a deal-breaker. The reverse headstock kinda freaks me out on the DKMG... but that's not a dealbreaker either. I love the neck on both... they are just fine guitars and Japan has definately picked up on their quality.

Well... sorry for writing the book here fella's, I'm just really torn between the two. Thanks in advance for any responses!

mike2731
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'd check out the new DK2M's. they have maple boards, and they now come with real Duncan pickups, not the Duncan Designed. It's a great guitar for the price. I know a few of the members here have them, I'm sure they'll check in with their opinions. :thumbs:

BeN5150
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
hell Mike, ALL the Jackson "Pro Series" (not to be confused with the early 90's "Professional Series") come with real Duncans.

I would just pick which ever one you like best, primarily for the feel and sound as opposed to look :D

mike2731
09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
hell Mike, ALL the Jackson "Pro Series" (not to be confused with the early 90's "Professional Series") come with real Duncans.

I would just pick which ever one you like best, primarily for the feel and sound as opposed to look :D

Nice, I was unaware. Jackson's new stuff kicks major ass for the price!! Who needs overpriced Kramer reissues??? :icon_wink :icon_lol:

PacerMedic
09-12-2007, 03:17 PM
This one caught my eye the first time I saw, and wouldn't get out of my head until I brought it home! DK2M with Eerie Dess Swirl finish. It packs a real JB/JN combo and the neck is to die for. The licensed Floyd stays in tune just fine. Hell, you know. :D

http://www.joelski.com/Outside2_web.jpg

CaptainClaw
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the forum dude! I'm surprised nobody caught this yet, but the Fusion series were Gibson scale guitars :thumbs: So the Dinkys etc will be all Fender scale. If you're into flying V's the Jackson KVT models are Gibson scale. Sick sick guitars! Just expensive ($2000 or so neck thru American models).

mike2731
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the forum dude! I'm surprised nobody caught this yet, but the Fusion series were Gibson scale guitars :thumbs: So the Dinkys etc will be all Fender scale. If you're into flying V's the Jackson KVT models are Gibson scale. Sick sick guitars! Just expensive ($2000 or so neck thru American models).

His PRS is a Fender scale though, right?

V King
09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
No PRS are 25" Scale :eusa_thin * 25 on all guitars except
* 24 1/2 on the Santana II and III
* 25 1/4" on 513 So that a tough one, were do you go 24.75 or 25.5 since he used to a 25 scale maybe a Gibson scale better for him , If I was you I would look for one of those Fusions out on the Used Market :thumbs: Ohh and Welcome to Shred :icon_wink

mike2731
09-14-2007, 06:34 AM
No PRS are 25" Scale :eusa_thin * 25 on all guitars except
* 24 1/2 on the Santana II and III
* 25 1/4" on 513 So that a tough one, were do you go 24.75 or 25.5 since he used to a 25 scale maybe a Gibson scale better for him , If I was you I would look for one of those Fusions out on the Used Market :thumbs: Ohh and Welcome to Shred :icon_wink

WOW....wild stuff. I never knew that. Of course, I've never had the slightest inclination to buy a PRS, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising I know absolutely nothing about them. :eusa_thin

wilkinsi
09-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Contrary to the specs on the Jackson homepage, I found that the neck on my DK2S is thicker than my DK2M. Having said that, the latter doesn't have the Sustainiac which I like so much, it's addictive.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/wilkinsi/Jackson%20Guitars/DSC00016.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/wilkinsi/Jackson%20Guitars/09082007001.jpg

mike2731
09-24-2007, 06:23 AM
I agree, the Sustainer is really cool. I have a PC1, and I'm just really starting to learn the little tricks on how to use the sustainer and not have it sound gimmicky. Don't get me wrong, it's great for some gimmicky stuff as well, but it's really cool when you can incorporate it in a more standard style. :thumbs:

slayer
09-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I am new here also and said hey in the general area, but I would like to add that I have owned a few Jackson Fusions in my time both USA and Import. All very well made and I prefer the 24.75 scale over the 25.5. However, the problem I had with the fusions weren`t the quality, rather it had too many pickups and the neck was super thin. I prefer 1 humbucker guitars, but don`t mind 2 hums as well. The USA fusions came with H/S/S and didn`t care for that. If you like thin necks and 3 pickups and 24.75 scale, the Fusion is a hell of a guitar.

Jack