PDA

View Full Version : Strikers

Invader Chris
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
What's the general consensus? I'm a regular on the Seymour Duncan board, and most people there are of the opinion that plywood = shit. I thought that, until I picked up a Squier Bullet that, with some TLC, played and sounded killer.

What do you guys think?

BananaHead
01-05-2006, 07:27 PM
I think that if you can score one real cheap, you could probably make it play pretty sweet. With an OFR, and some Duncans, you could have a real sweet player for real cheap!

Giarc
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
A very wise person once said "If it sounds good, then it is good".

I know a lot of value is put on the coutry of origin, the make of pick-up's, type of fret board, type of body wood, name on the head stock (I'm as guilty as the next guy). But I'm still one of the believers that tone (for the most part) is in the fingers and the soul.

Give EVH, SRV, or any other one of the greats a plywood body guitar, and I bet they would sound amazing.

The plywood guitars are DEFINITELY not worth as much money wise, but every guitar is different. Every little different combination creates an entirely unique instrument.

If you dig this particular guitar, and it works for you and your style, play the hell out of it:guitarplay:

You never know, someday people might be scouring Ebay and the pawn shops for them, and paying big bucks, trying to sound like you:thumbs:

Invader Chris
01-05-2006, 08:23 PM
A very wise person once said "If it sounds good, then it is good".

Never has a more brilliant phrase been uttered. 'Cept maybe for "E=MC2". That shit's pretty smart :D

But seriously, I recently got over "it's gotta cost a bunch of money to be good" syndrome. Whenever I've got really nice stuff, I'm always too terrified of messing it up to do anything I really enjoy, like routing and fucking stuff up :)

IceCreamMan
02-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I have a Striker 100st that is in great shape. I took out the turbo sonic and installed a Duncan. This thing sounds amazing for a laminated plywood guitar. If I can only score an OFR cheap and get rid of the FR II, I'm all set. Check out the pics.

CaptainClaw
02-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I found someone selling an OFR on Craigslist yesterday for $100 but forget which city. I should have bookmarked it :doh:I'll dig around there again and I'll see if I can dig it up. If I find it I'll PM it to ya bro! :thumbs:

MrScary
05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I have several 100STs. I love them all. I also don't care where it was made...does it rip? All that matters:thumbs:

Eric

MrScary
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
ps...I LOVE my squire bullet too dude! I recorded every song with that up until a few weeks ago. Then I got a cool Lightning Swan for $400 from Alex. Now that is all I use.

gtpfbod
05-31-2006, 09:27 AM
I dunno, My striker's ok, but I like the focus's I have a lot better for the little bit of extra cash. There good players for the practicing, but I wouldn't gig mine, But then again, it all depends whose playing right? :icon_lol:

toneseeker
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Here's my take on the plywood guitars:
most don't sound good...only when playing clean or trying to play blues. When you turn up the gain, it doesn't matter so much!

You know, I would like to get a cheap beater guitar, and make another body just like it out of some good wood to see just how much of a difference there is.

DRM
08-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Here's my take on the plywood guitars:
most don't sound good...only when playing clean or trying to play blues. When you turn up the gain, it doesn't matter so much!

You know, I would like to get a cheap beater guitar, and make another body just like it out of some good wood to see just how much of a difference there is.

I will say that my old 200ST sounded good and actually sustained pretty well, but it played like pure donkey shit. And you're totally right about sound with distortion, it doesn't affect the tone as much as it affects your sustain. A guitar made of dense wood (like mohagony) WILL sustain better than a guitar made of agathis when the distortion is slapped on.