PDA

View Full Version : Poll... Do you believe the yo-Kramers are better/ same/ worse than vintage Kramers?

kramerlover
01-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I will save my opinion until Saturday 1/7/05.

Just add a tally mark beside the answer you prefer...

Thanks!

Bill

:icon_cool

Better -

Same -

Worse -

:icon_cool

CaptainClaw
01-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I added an actual poll for ya bro, so no need to keep track manually :) I think you guys can do that too. It should be an option under your thread tools at the top of the page :thumbs:

I also cast my vote for worse, because even though I don't own one I feel the are doing an injustice to the name in order to sell cheap knockoffs.

MapleShredder
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
My vote is in. :thumbs: I looked at the question from a general standpoint. Most of the YO Kramers are not as good as the Vintage 80s models. I do appreciate their attempt to at least bring back some of the USA reissues like the 1984, Jersey Star and hopefully the Nightswan. I'll probably be waiting a very long time but I would not buy a USA Reissue right now at those prices. :eusa_whis

axebuilder
01-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I said worst only cuz Its hard to top the original. But I had a yo striker with 1 hum it was a great guitar but My stiker from the 80's played better

bkeen
01-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I voted worst only based on the majority of Yo Kramers. My 1984 is way better than a lot of Vintage Kramers I have played. And really it is not a re-make of a vintage production Kramer. It is an attempt to remake the 1984 mutt Ed had custom made, which was never a production guitar.

I think there needs to be a separation in the judging for the regular Yo line and the 1984 and JS.

Regular YO :thumbsdow
1984 & JS :thumbs:

MapleShredder
01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I think there needs to be a separation in the judging for the regular Yo line and the 1984 and JS.

Regular YO :thumbsdow
1984 & JS :thumbs:

I agree with you 100% on that. :icon_wink

Krameration
01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I'd have to say except for the 1984 and JS models....definately worse :icon_lol: all the others don't even come close...and I'll go so far to say...they probably shouldn't even have the Kramer name on the headstock....pretty bold statement...but I said it anyway :eusa_whis

Axeme
01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
My take on it is this: I have a BC Rich (Korean made) that plays great, but has finish flaws from the factory. I have a Jackson (made in Japan) it doesn't have any flaws, but I don't think it plays as well as my BC Rich. I had an American Kramer Sustainer (parts guitar) that played better than both. I think the Yo Kramers are just as good as most off the shelf guitars out there right now, but they can't hang with the Original Kramer.....but then again, what could.

D:thumbs:

bkeen
01-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd have to say except for the 1984 and JS models....definately worse :icon_lol: all the others don't even come close...and I'll go so far to say...they probably shouldn't even have the Kramer name on the headstock....pretty bold statement...but I said it anyway :eusa_whis

I think they do better with the ESP logo! :thumbs:

D-EJ915
01-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I voted worse because they're not supposed to be great american made guitars, they're just mid-priced imports, although they use the same name they're aimed at a different market.

kramerlover
01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I added an actual poll for ya bro, so no need to keep track manually :) I think you guys can do that too. It should be an option under your thread tools at the top of the page :thumbs:

Thanks Brutha! :notworthy

I still have to find all the cool little nuances of the site...:eusa_thin

I guess it would help if I would just learn how to read? :doh:

kramerlover
01-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Well... I waited until Saturday...

I believe that the "Jersey Star" and the "1984" are nice guitars... but still don't blow me away like an '80's Sambora or Pacer Special!

They are the best of the current line... so I have to say that the 80's guitars are a better made and sweeter deal.

Since ESP is still making beautiful guitars... why doesn't Gibson contract them to build bodies and necks (like American Series Kramers were) and ship them to Nashville for finish and assembly? They could reissue Pacers and Barettas that actually felt like the originals...

There must be a good(?) reason (most likely profit margin)...

And that's all I have to say about that!

fasttracksstudio
01-08-2006, 10:25 AM
guys,i own 9 80's american kramers and 1 music yo..IMO the esp era kramers look and feel better to me.we all know they last and now with the $$ they are fetching even just for parts i think they are better.i have played a american voyager and a yo voyager and the esp made voyager was superior.also the focus 5000 voyager was even better than the yo voyager IMO..i havent gotten my hands on a JS to compare it to my sam but my american esp years kramers beat my 1984 hands down.and like i say above i like the esp voyagers and even the focus 5000 better than the yo version..if these orginal guitars wernt the best than why bring em back ?? just my 2 cents guys..

Krameration
01-08-2006, 11:09 AM
See Rick...that's the thing....Kramers were pretty much made by ESP....thoughout their history...one year or another...I won't get into details...American and Overseas...this came up in another thread....compairing the RS to the JS and the original 84 to the 1984 reissue...

Maybe Gibson should be having the parts manufactured by ESP???

Hmmmm:eusa_thin

Giarc
01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I just got back from Vegas yesterday, went to the CES convention there. While there at CES, I went to check out the Gibson promo area. I just wanted to see some new stuff, and see what they were pushing. Well, as soon as I walk in, there they were, two Music Yo's staring me in the face. A 1984 and JS.

I played both. All I can say is they were 'ok', but not anything I would call really special.

I picked up the JS first. It did feel solid, and I wouldn't say it felt cheap or anything. It played 'ok', and I really dug all the pick up options. But as to how it felt compared with a 'real' one, I can't say, 'cause I never owned one, and only played one once for a very short time, a long time ago.

The 1984 was better, I thought. I liked the way it played, and the tone was much more resonant and 'musical'. The neck had an unfinished feel to it which I dig, and it just played great.

But, the bottom line I guess, is that I don't know if I would pay what Yo is asking for these guitars I played that day. I might have paid what they WERE asking, but probably not what they ARE asking.

Just my 2 cents.

Everything else in the Gibson area was basically the usual. Pauls and Explorers and the like. I talked with one guy who was demonstrating a new Guitar/software combo in which you could digitally assign differing tone/effects to different strings, as well as put each string into differing speakers/channels of a surround system and/or recording mixer. Neat, but I couldn't figure out what practical use anyone could do with it:scratch:

The guy 'demonstrating' it couldn't show me, either:eusa_thin

Go figure:icon_lol:

-Craig

CaptainClaw
01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I just got back from Vegas yesterday, went to the CES convention there.

Ok I have to butt in here and YELL AT YOU FOR NOT GETTING IN TOUCH WITH ME WHILE YOU WERE HERE!!! :thumbsdow I live in Las Vegas! You're fired LOL

Giarc
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Ok I have to butt in here and YELL AT YOU FOR NOT GETTING IN TOUCH WITH ME WHILE YOU WERE HERE!!! :thumbsdow I live in Las Vegas! You're fired LOL

I know, Adam...I know...and I feel like an :ass:

No offence intended, man. No excuses, just apologies.

But, I'm in Phoenix and get to LV quite a bit. Next time it's a beer and some gear talk, definitely. The beer's on me. Thinking about March...:eusa_thin

-Craig

ps: Have you checked your PM?

BananaHead
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Well, some of you may know how I feel about the YO kramers....

I HATE GIBSON KRAMERS! PERIOD! I always have. I hate the Jersey Star, I hate the 1984. I own or have owned over 22 "vintage" Kramers, from all eras and nothing could top them IMHO.

bkeen
01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Don't hold back Alex, tell us what you really think! :eusa_danc

I have to say without getting into specifics, my 1984 plays way better and is built just as good if not better than some of the Vintage Kramers I have had. :icon_cool

But each to his own. That's what is cool about this place....

:thumbs:

CaptainClaw
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM

I have to say without getting into specifics, my 1984 plays way better and is built just as good if not better than some of the Vintage Kramers I have had. :icon_cool

Damn skippy man!!!! You can even disagree with the admins if you like. Hell, I'm used to it. Everyone disagrees with me LOL :eusa_whis

BananaHead
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM

I know a lot of guys like the YOs, and that's totally cool! Personally, though, it's just a matter of me being a stubborn, Kramer purist. :icon_cool

bkeen
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Skippy man? What's that all about? :eusa_thin