PDA

View Full Version : Custom axe I'm building...

Invader Chris
12-28-2005, 11:43 AM
After going through 50-some guitars in the last couple years, I've decided it's time to just build what i want :)

So far, here's what I'm looking at for the first one...
late 70's maple Strat neck
ash, alder or basswood body, more or less Strat shaped

Now, I've got a good amount of wood working experience, plus the help of my dad (he's got the tools and the wood-working know how). We've got a '73 or '74 Strat to use to get the neck pocket dimensions.

Here's some things I'm considering... I want to do two bolt-ons, one with a Floyd, and the other a hardtail. The Floyd one will probably have a 'bucker bridge and single coil neck pickup, with volume (and maybe tone) and a 3 way. The hardtail will be a bridge 'bucker only, straight to the output, no control cavity. The idea is to remove the absolute bare minimum amount of wood as possible. Also, the hardtail will be a mahogany body.

Whatcha think? :)

axebuilder
12-30-2005, 07:01 AM
After going through 50-some guitars in the last couple years, I've decided it's time to just build what i want :)

So far, here's what I'm looking at for the first one...
late 70's maple Strat neck
ash, alder or basswood body, more or less Strat shaped

Now, I've got a good amount of wood working experience, plus the help of my dad (he's got the tools and the wood-working know how). We've got a '73 or '74 Strat to use to get the neck pocket dimensions.

Here's some things I'm considering... I want to do two bolt-ons, one with a Floyd, and the other a hardtail. The Floyd one will probably have a 'bucker bridge and single coil neck pickup, with volume (and maybe tone) and a 3 way. The hardtail will be a bridge 'bucker only, straight to the output, no control cavity. The idea is to remove the absolute bare minimum amount of wood as possible. Also, the hardtail will be a mahogany body.

Whatcha think? :)

Both sound great! Mahogany is easy to work with its my fav for sound too!
And your specs rock too. If you put a stacked Single in the neck you can add a coil split or phase switch for more tone options if needed

Kac
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Chris, I think ~ GET TO WORK! I wanna see these custom creations in real life!

Rock on ~ kac

toneseeker
01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
I think that hardtail is going to be HEAVY.
Other than that, go for it!