PDA

View Full Version : Finally scored my LP w/ floyd!

bkeen
11-13-2006, 03:40 PM
And Score!

1988 Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite, with factory Floyd!

http://www.keencentral.com/pub/lpclfl/images/9b_3b.jpg

Never even knew they made these back in the day!

http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

wfojon
11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Nice color!!

RockStringBender
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
OOoo baby, that looks nice Bruce. Hows she play/sound?

bkeen
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
OOoo baby, that looks nice Bruce. Hows she play/sound?

Don't know! Won't know until I get it in a week or so... :icon_wink

Giarc
11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Holy...man, that's nice Bruce. Congrat's on the end to your quest!

(ps: check your pm's:eusa_whis )

wfojon
11-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I like it much more than the Nighthawk, the pickups are to weird.

bkeen
11-13-2006, 09:47 PM
I like it much more than the Nighthawk, the pickups are to weird.

Yea, this one is purdier but that Nighthawk has a tone that is like a Grand Piano! It also does a mean strat too!

:thumbs:

toneseeker
11-14-2006, 06:07 AM
The AVH's at the LPF would faint if they saw that.
A piece of Gipsun history they would LOVE to forget! :icon_wink

phred
11-14-2006, 06:13 AM
That had to be pricey $$$$$
:drool2:

P

Webbhead13
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Bruce,
CONGRATS!!! shes a Beaut!!:thumbs:
That color is smokin'!!

wfojon
11-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Bruce,
CONGRATS!!! shes a Beaut!!:thumbs:
That color is smokin'!!

I had to right click it and then click show picture.:thumbs:

Webbhead13
11-14-2006, 08:12 AM
It was wierd! first it showed an box with a "X" then I scrolled back up and it was there.:eusa_thin

bkeen
11-14-2006, 08:14 AM
The AVH's at the LPF would faint if they saw that.
A piece of Gipsun history they would LOVE to forget! :icon_wink

Yeah, I know! :icon_bigg But that is coming from people who spend thousands extra on new guitars that are beat up to look used! :eusa_thin
I don't think they do shred.... :icon_wink

Good people. I just haven't caught on to what all the fuss is over the vintage stuff... Hell, I'm vintage! :eusa_whis

wfojon
11-14-2006, 08:20 AM
No Bruce I'm vintage, you're just close but not there yet. :icon_wink

Good people. I just haven't caught on to what all the fuss is over the vintage stuff... Hell, I'm vintage! :eusa_whis

:thumbs:[/QUOTE]

bkeen
11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
That had to be pricey $$$$$
:drool2:

P

Pricey? That is relative... But yeah, took a chunk of my gas money! :icon_eek:

And thanks Bill!

Oh yeah, I think I fixed the pic.

bkeen
11-14-2006, 08:29 AM
No Bruce I'm vintage, you're just close but not there yet. :icon_wink

:thumbs:[/quote]

I said Vintage, not ancient! :eusa_whis

Act of God
11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
That guitar is bad ass. I'd love one in white

toneseeker
11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I know! :icon_bigg But that is coming from people who spend thousands extra on new guitars that are beat up to look used! :eusa_thin
I don't think they do shred.... :icon_wink

Nope, it's a pretty safe bet to say not a shredder in the whole bunch. I don't frequent the place anymore for a number of different reasons, the main being that I can't afford to be in their club right now. They get all wound up over there about short vs. long tenons, and the difference in tone over the dreaded "truss rod condom." Sounds like they have a lot in common with a certain 80s guitar site forum that a lot of you dudes were banned from.

FYI: AVH = Anal Vintage Homos, not Alex Van Halen :icon_cool

bkeen
11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
These days I am looking for tone and application of guitars rather than collections. I am downsizing the herd and going for what I will play.

toneseeker
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
A most noble cause.

Right now, i'd like to own a Les Paul (got it), a Strat (working on it) and two super strats (one with a humbucker in the neck, one with a single coil).
After that, I just want to build to suit my fancy, and build for other people after I get some more experience.

CaptainClaw
11-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Most badass Paul I've seen in a looong time bro! You know what I'll be interested in learning from you once you get her is how the Floyd affects the tone. I'm guessing it's gotta suck some of the traditional Paul tone out of it, but I'd imagine it's not much...

toneseeker
11-15-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't think it will be as much as everyone seems to think either, Capitan.

The dudes that piss and moan about a Paul with a Floyd are all chasing Duane's, Jimmy's or the Beano tone. You would not believe some of the debates these guys get into.
Corksniffin' tone snobs.
Same dudes that spend at least a grand more to make their brand new historic reissues look 40 years old.

Having said all that, i'm a bit of a traditionalist myself. When I want a Paul, I want a Paul. When I want a Strat, I want a Strat. I'm a lot more lenient with shredder types, though.

bkeen
11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm covered in the traditional sense! All though some might turn thier noses up at the lack of vintage here...

http://www.keencentral.com/music/Guitars/100_0551.JPGhttp://www.keencentral.com/music/Guitars/LPD.JPGhttp://www.keencentral.com/music/Guitars/100_0517.jpg

toneseeker
11-15-2006, 09:00 AM
A well rounded brutha! :thumbs:
I don't quite buy into all the vintage hype, anyway.
I want to play some vintage pieces sometime, to see if there is that much of a difference.

mike2731
11-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I remember playing a Custom Lite at a local shop here back in the day. Nice guitars, and quite a bit thinner than a normal Les Paul. I'm not sure they really give you the "true" Les Paul sound though, but that rocks with a Floyd on there.

I have a USA Strat, a Mexican Strat, and an EPI Les Paul with upgraded pickups, but not a genuine Les Paul yet. It's on my "to get" list, but my problem is I just love the Customs too much, and if I'm going to buy a Les Paul, it's going to be the one I want (which is an Alpine White Custom with gold hardware). Other than that, I really have no needs at the moment for guitars. I have probably too many Super Strats, so I may unload a few to help fund a Les Paul purchase. There really are certain tones you can only get from certain guitars, IMO. I agree totally with buying guitars that fit your playing needs. I don't want to "collect" guitars, I want to play them. :guitarplay:

bkeen
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I don't expect to get the same tone out of this that I do on my other LPs. But that might not be a bad thing. Hell, my Standard and Deluxe don't even sound like each other. But I do like the way LPs play and I am just looking for a woodier sounding guitar with a floyd and with the LP HONK!
I have been obsessed with finding a Gibson LP with a Floyd for a year now so there it is....

Mike, those White Customs sell considerably less that the other colors for some reason.

toneseeker
11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Yep, you guys touched on something that I should have said before: different models sound different. Customs sound different than Standards, Standards sound different from Deluxes, Deluxes sound different than Studios...
but they are all pretty cool.

wfojon
11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
woodier sounding guitar with a floyd and with the LP HONK!
I have been obsessed with finding a Gibson LP with a Floyd for a year now so there it is.

Bruce,
What happened to the Epi with the Floyd?
What is this about a guitar with a woodie?
inquiring minds..

bkeen
11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Bruce,
What happened to the Epi with the Floyd?
What is this about a guitar with a woodie?
inquiring minds..

I sold the Epi with a floyd to help fund the Nighthawk.

Woodie? Hmmmm. That vid you sent me this morning sparked up the woodie! :icon_eek:

wfojon
11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I sold the Epi with a floyd to help fund the Nighthawk.

Woodie? Hmmmm. That vid you sent me this morning sparked up the woodie! :icon_eek:

Ah yes - summer......:drool2: